Olds Pinto

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by jbkirby, Nov 10, 2010.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I am sure there are many who would love to be able to own a Monette, but for those for whom this horn is out of reach, there are three Olds Pintos currently listed on ebay. Knock yourself out. :lol:ROFL:-P

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

why????????????

Oldlou>>

3. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    are those the horns that explode if you accidentally hit them in the bell too hard?

oh wait, that was the Olds Gremlin.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I thought Ford made the Pinto...:lol:

I suppose Olds named it that because of the cooked-pinto color of the plastic valve section...

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Has anyone else put their coin into an Olds Pinto, or its Reynolds twin? I once did. The only trumpet that I have ever bought that was worse was the Russian made rotary valve Bb trumpet that I picked up. They both bray like a Jackass or squack like a stepped on duck. I got lucky and sold mine to a guy that desperately wanted one. Oh, sweet relief!!

OLDLOU>>

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Agreed, I don't know why anyone would want a Monette!!

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I bought my Pinto (the horn, not the car) for the novelty of having a a diarrhea-brown plastic/yellow brass horn that can be reassembled in so many hilarious ways, not to play. Not once have I sat and pondered: "The Recording or the Pinto...which one...which one...?"

BTW, the Ford Pinto was the car that exploded on rear impact when the lower shock absorber mounting bolts acted as firing pins, puncturing the fuel tank. (We should have stockpiled these for military use.) With the proper braces loosened, the horn will also explode if popped in the bell too hard. :shhh:

Perhaps these could be reissued using C4 instead of poo-poo brown plastic.

Anyone with a collection of Olds trumpets needs one of these to compare the magnificent craftsmanship of their horns to those such as the Pinto and see why Olds ultimately disappeared from the horizon in the late seventies.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What was he intending to use it for, sound effects in a movie? Btw, I've heard the duck, but never the "stepped on duck". That has to be bad.:lol: I've made remarkably realistic elephant noises, but that was in the first few weeks, probably part of the process and can't be blamed on the horn.

turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    C'mon guys, it's a piece of umm, uhh, history,yea that's it, history. Actually was going to look at one off of craigslist. Guy wanted 100 FIRM because of it's "historical" significance. I asked him how it played. He "said" it was one of the best horns he has ever played. He was only getting rid of it cause he "needed the money". When I asked what other horns he played, the conversation ended. The one on eBay is missing the 2nd slide. Otherwise that puppy would be mine!!! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLROFLROFL!

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Go ahead...BID...you know you want it!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil: