Olds Recording Cornet and modern mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by RandyTx, Mar 30, 2010.

1. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    I'm wondering about the sizing of modern mouthpieces relative to older cornets, particularly a circa 1950 Olds recording cornet. Would a modern "off the shelf" cornet mouthpiece fit properly, or be "close enough", or is a special adapter or horn modification required?

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    At Olds Central several fixes are offered. 1--Wrap tape around the shank so it fits in the receiver. 2--Buy and old large shaft Olds mouthpiece (have it buffed and plated if necessary). 3--Use a Yamaha Flugelhorn mouthpiece (cheap, readily available and they work). 4--Get someone to build you one of the proper size. There are several companies who have the Olds Large Shank mouthpieces in their catalogue.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My way to cure this problem is to remove the receiver from a 'sacrificial' cornet that is made to accept a standard Bach shank mouthpiece. Turn it in a machine lathe to the required taper to fit in the elderly Olds and use that as a spacer to shim up a standard Bach shank mouthpiece. If done properly there should be no more than 3/8" of adaptor showing when installed.

OLDLOU>>

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    With the VC series of Mark Curry's mouthpieces now available with the larger Olds shank as a production option, I'm overjoyed with the selection and the mouthpieces I bought. The larger shank is a production option, costing a bit more than a standard mouthpiece, but much less than a full custom job.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I have used the Curry pieces as well. They work well!

6. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    You can have your music shop retailer order a mouthpiece with the proper shack from Bach, it takes about 5 weeks and my retailer is charging me $55.00

7. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Thanks for all the pointers on how to address this. I'm about to have an old Olds (really sad shape) sent off for an evaluation for a restoration. If it turns out that it's not too far gone to be saved, I'll likely go the Curry route if the horn is a "player" when I get it back. If it's not so great, I'll probably try to pick up an old Olds mouthpiece off of ebay or something just so it "looks right".

I'm really hoping this doesn't turn out to be a wall-hanger when it's done.

8. buma

buma New Friend

Jul 11, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I was told by Mouthpiece Express that Bach (post-strike) no longer offers the O-shank as a special order for Olds cornets. They steered me to a Curry piece.

9. entrancing1

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    The old Olds shank is listed as available in the current online Vincent Bach Catalog and I ordered one three weeks ago, I will report back when it arrives.

10. entrancing1

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY