Olds recording offset 2nd valve-why are modern horns not made this way?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JRgroove, Oct 5, 2015.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Old horns, like the Recording and others keep getting overpriced because, like old muscle cars and other cars from the past, there are people who will pay ANYTHING to get their hands on one and bid against each other.
    Collectors can be their own worst enemy. There was a time RCA's Living Stereo and Mercury's Living Presence records were fetching hundreds of dollars for mint original copies - which weren't always superior to later pressings.
    When independent record companies were able to obtain master tapes and began producing new copies on better vinyl and with better cutters, the prices dropped drastically.
    If someone came out with a new Recording and other collector type horns, the bottom would drop out of the market.
    Rich T.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I really never had a problem getting the tips of my fingers on the valves in the first place. Even though I consider my hands sort of big and clumsy the fingers arch and push the valves straight down. To me draping the finger over the button and pushing it down with the underside of the middle of the finger always looked sloppy and careless. I learned early on to tilt the horn about ten degrees to the right and keep my right hand back away from a death grip on the pinky hook and there was plenty of room to curve the fingers comfortably to put the tips on the buttons. It didn't hurt either that tilting the horn to the right made me look cooler than the others and that helped me date a cute flute player all through school. (NOTE: As if I needed help!) Sadly it has been many years since I have been in school, but pushing the valves down straight has saved a lot of wear and kept even my Olds Super in perfect operating condition. Best wishes.

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    The off set 2nd valve was a feature of the Conn-Dupont flagship "4 in 1" model in the late 1870's. CONN never revisited this design feature, although I think it's pretty cool that OLDS did!

[​IMG]

4. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I believe Adams offers that option, or at least used to, on one of their horns....

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Soooo true, oh so true!! I played a Recording and it was okay, nothing more magical than any of the other horns I own, but the owner was so enamored with it, he wanted the moon and it wasn't even 100%. The owner was a nice guy, but had that "Recording" look in his eyes. I didn't even try to negotiate because I felt like I would offend him for sure and that wasn't my goal. Oh well, as others have said, the design is "cool" and different but really doesn't aid in playability, and it cost to make.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My Olds Recording is the finest trumpet that I own. It is not the easiest to play. On dance jobs I play the Olds Super/Bach Frankenhorn with the uptilt bell. BIG cutting sound that will part your hair and it almost plays itself. For "the sound" when it is important, I have a Bach 37 made in 1965 that I will never sell. When I play in church and the choir sings I have a King Liberty balanced model that has a clean sound that is not as intrusive. But when I need to sound my very best, I always reach for the Recording. Its voice feeds my soul when I am troubled. It takes more push up top, but the sound everywhere else is worth it. YMMV

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The offset second valve always felt a bit awkward to me. When I move my fingers as if to push down valves, they are in alignment, not offset. I use all my knuckles more or less equally when pushing down the valves, sort of a grip or claw movement. If I stiffen my fingers so that they do not curl and force the use of the base knuckles primarily, then the Olds Recording setup does not feel awkward. However, my hand does, and seems to tire quickly, so that aspect of the Recording is not for me.

8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually the Selmer Radial 2° design does reduce wear, proper maintenance assumed. The valve moves up and down in the direction our hands are made. I bought mine in the mid 70s and it has A LOT of hours on it without the typical wear pattern at the top and bottom of a standard piston valve.