Olds recording offset 2nd valve-why are modern horns not made this way?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JRgroove, Oct 5, 2015.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My brother has a large bore Selmer Radial. It is a VERY fine horn and the reason that I have owned several Selmers. They are as distinctive and recognizeable as the Bach Strad to my ears

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Had both Recording and Radial, and the Selmer is a superior design, IMO. That said I have left in my possession...a Recording.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I have and enjoy both Radials and Recordings. But lest we get all lathered up about the offset second valve, which I have always found to be very comfortable, let's remember there's nothing new about it. To quote Niles Eldridge in "A Brief History of Piston-valved Cornets", "most three-piston cornopeans of the 1830s-1850s had the second piston offset, deflected to the left of the plane of the first and third pistons."

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Well, if we are looking at valves that follow the natural positioning and movement of our fingers, we should look at bending the valve/casing to the same arc as our fingers describe ;-);-)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    And then we end up with rotary valves with my prototype linkage/keys that do exactly that (upps, that is secret, don't tell anyone.....).

Piston valves with an arc is a pretty cool idea too. I am not sure that we will find anyone to build it........

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Would it even be possible to build a piston/casing that is arced (if I am following your meaning)? Just having trouble wrapping my brain around how that might work.........:think:

7. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Here is the Adams "ergonomic valve block" which (I think) is a special-order option with both radial and offset geometry. Seems like a great idea, but I have no idea what it costs.

[​IMG]

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    With a 3D milling machine, just about anything that we can imagine is "possible". Carbon fiber and industrial ceramics are also a real possibility! If we have forms to calibrate bows, of course we could get dimensions close enough to hone! Considering that well maintained, good old straight valves are faster than our fingers, the cost is truly THE deciding factor.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I saw a block like that at Bauerfeind a couple of years ago. Cool that it is finally on a horn! If I remember correctly the price would have been 1500 Euros for the finished valve block.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    This might help visuaiise the principle (not a new idea)

Toroidal Internal-Combustion Engines.