Olds Recording Trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by nacog, May 6, 2004.

1. nacog

nacog New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    I have a question about an unusual Olds Recording that I just picked up.
    First of all it is definately a Recording with the elaborate engraving, off-set valves, balanced valve cluster, main tuning slide brace. What is unusual is that it has a first slide trigger rather than the 3rd slide one. It looks original with no evidence that there ever was a 3rd slide trigger. Finally it has a nickle silver bell (like the opera) rather than the rose brass bell (and no it is not plated). It is stamped USN. Did the Olds factory customize horns then (mid 60's) for customers and has anybody seen anything like this before?

2. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Here is a wild guess, but I'll bet the USN stands for United States Navy and was originally purchased for someone in a Navy Band. Of course, I'm hardly ever correct.

4. nacog

nacog New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Hi Happy Canuck, no the serial number is in the 540,000 range so it is not the same one but certainly made around the same time. Is it possible that the navy ordered a number of these special Recordings in the mid sixties for their bands? Do military bandsmen get to choose what they play? I do remember when that other Recording was on ebay but I had assumed that the bell was plated but now I know that wasn't the case.

5. Welk

Welk New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    Montréal, Canada
    Probably simply and Overhauled/customized horn!

I have a recording and I'll have it overhauled this summer and I'll have a Hook added to 1st valve slide. And I'll have this slide inversed in order to be able to move it with thumb. For tunning and comfort. For the rest I'll leave the original finish ( relaquer, but no plating). I may have my name graved on it too.

That is basis stuff, but I could have had it silver plated or gold plated... or whatever I can thing about.

It happens that peope modifies horn... so maybe this one is the same...

6. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    You can always have the third valve trigger put on. Rich ita, here in Atlanta, has a couple in stock. It is amazing what the military played over the years. A family in Athens Georgia found their fathers trumpet that he had played while in the airforce band. They were sorting through his things after he died & they found a bach Strad in a case marked USAF from around 1940.

Not knowing what it was they sold it to a local music store for $150.00

Mike

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    :shock: *Slams head into table with tremendous force, waking roomate and people next door*

I think I'm gonna go cry now...

8. JamesEarleStewartJr

JamesEarleStewartJr New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    So, to sum up the responses to the original post, nobody has the slightest clue, right?

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Quite a few clues ... as to it being customized and probably overhauled. If it was either of those, only the person who owned at the time or the person who did the work at the time would know for sure.

Do you have a clue beyond the ones mentioned?

M&C

10. Welk

Welk New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    Montréal, Canada
    To prevent this type of confusion, I'll have Leigh doing a Customisation/overhauled certificat that I'll leave in my case to sort of identify the horn history.