Olds Recording vs Super Recording

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by dHoff, Mar 21, 2004.

1. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Can anyone tell me the differences between the Recording and earlier Super recording?

Also, It seems that the recording is respected equally no matter what year. Is this true?

Certainly the older ones are betterlooking but how much of a difference is there in real quality? It seems a far cry from Bach instruments which although universally respected are almost considered different horns after leaving Mt Vernon.

thanks for all assistance.

-dH

2. nacog

nacog New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    I have had two Super Recording cornets in the past as well as a Recording cornet and trumpet. I have heard that the Super Recording has the Recording body and the Super bell . that seems to be true as the Super Recordings bell looks more like yellow brass and the rose brass bell of the Recordings is unmistakable. They played very simularly with the Super being a little brighter. As with the different years on the Recordings, I definitely like the earlier (pre 65 or so) ,mainly because of the engraving. I have a '69 Recording that while nice does not have the elaborateness in the engraving as the '56 that I had. I understand that in the 70's they went to a machine engraving which is really plain.

3. Handballsteve

Handballsteve New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    I have owned a 1946 Super, a 1950 Recording and a 1937 Super Recording. The are all quality pro horns. The are each very different in tone and blow. The Super Recording is not a combination of the other two. It is its own horn.
    There are some similarities like the offset 2nd valve and forward balanced valve section found on the Recording and the tone ring on the bell like the Super. But it is a very different horn than the other two. I have since traded the Super and the Recording but I still play the Super Recording as it turned out to be my favorite of the three. All are great horns. That is my humble experience.
    Cheers,
    Steve

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Could you possibly post a pic of the Super Recording? I've never actually seen one.

5. Handballsteve

Handballsteve New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    I do not know how to get the picture into this reply. I tried.
    Cheers,
    Steve

6. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I know I'm reviving a dead topic, but WOW, why doesn't trumpet makers use that kind of engraving on the bell anymore? That is the most gorgeous accent I have EVER seen on a horn! I wish I could see a close-up of what the bordering says.

Van

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I guess they just decided it wasn't cost efficient enough or something. I'd love to see someone start reproducing horns like that. I think if someone did, they'd have a pretty good market.

9. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Hi!

I too would love to see engraving back on trumpets. It seems to add a sort of elegance. I know its all for aesthetic purposes, but, I wouldn't have a problem paying a little more for something special :D

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana