Olds Recording vs Super Recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrianbyrne, Sep 30, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You did say that but I SPECIFICALLLY asked him to PM me for a purchase option. You just said you were on the look out, which to me does not imply a "formal" purchasing option request of the OP. The PM I requested is a direct request for a link to HIS source, i.e a serious formal request to purchase and NOT just looking. You just noted you wanted to play the Super Recording. I am even willing to pay an unfair price for the Super Recording. But you can have the recording if the OP decides on my.. OK.. his Super Recording.

As for letting go one of one of my Recordings, would you sell your son our daughter? Would you? And as a Hungarian, we take your first born, we don't give them.

2. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    It sounds like I should go for the super, that is what I was thinking.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It's hard to go wrong with either. I have both and, to be honest, most days I prefer the earliest Recording models to the Super Recording - it's just a matter of how the horn feels to me, how it plays for me, how comfortable it makes me feel with it. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the newest Super Recording you'll find is still going to be over 60 years old. They tended to be owned by serious (= responsible) owners, but not always. The age just means there's an increased chance that you'll need to have the valves replated. OTOH, the best Recording models in my mind are the L.A. ones, and they're all getting on up there in years, too.

4. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    Thanks everyone, which one is better for jazz? brighter vs darker sound, it seems to be the recording?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I used my Recording for jazz as it is perfect for fitting the bill, small ensemble or big band.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    What are you going to be using it for? I had a Super and it did not play nice with the other trumpets. It was also a tad bright, or vibrant and colorful.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    For jazz, from experience I'd say the Recording. The sound is fantastic for jazz. Maybe Mendez can shed a little more light on the Super Recording for us.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I always blame the parent in these situations.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Hey hey hey! "She" loved to be in spotlight too much, and did not like to keep quiet. I tried my best, but sometimes it is out of my hands.

But really, the Super is a jewel. If I ever needed a horn on that side of the dark/bright spectrum I wouldn't hesitate to get another. Mine wasn't even in great shape but still played like a dream.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    That is like asking who has the better wife. While most folks here prefer the Recording, I like the Super better. While bright and dark are really controlled more by the player, the Recording tends to be one of the darker Olds horns, the Super on of the brighter. For big band jazz, it is hard to beat a Super. For small group, cool jazz, the Recording is great. Opinions will vary by player.