Olds Super opinions

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Oldgreentoad, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Oldgreentoad

Oldgreentoad New Friend

Aug 30, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I went off to the repair shop this weekend to get the leadpipe on my 58 Ambassador repaired and while I was there I saw an early 40's Super model. I was just amazed at the detail and quality of construction on a horn that is over 60 years old. I'm starting to think about selling the Ambassador and trying to find a Super. Anybody with experience with these horns any and all feedback would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    I have a 1932 Super and a multitude of other horns including a NY Bach, Chicago Benge and an Eclipse. All I can say is that I enjoy the Super as much as any of them. It is a very open horn that is great for lead. It is bright though. If you don't gravitate to that sound, I would also consider the most beautiful trumpet ever made, the Olds Recording (the models with both rose brass bells and leadpipes). These horns have a fatter sound and more resistance than the Supers.

3. Oldgreentoad

Oldgreentoad New Friend

Aug 30, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Topo,

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try to find a super that hasn't been beaten to death. If its not to much hassle and you've got the time I would love to see a pic of your 32'. Thanks again.

Jason

4. FREEBELLTRUMPET

FREEBELLTRUMPET New Friend

Apr 21, 2004
    Germany
    hi jason,
    i also have a olds super and i enjoy every note i have to play with this trumpet.
    great sound , easy to play, pretty horn!
    my super is from1966

martin kipper

5. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  6. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    Oldgreentoad,

Forgive me if I botch this up but here is a first stab at pictures of my 1932 Super:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    Ok, here we go again with pictures:

[​IMG]

8. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    One more time since I haven't figured out how to do more than one per post:

[​IMG]

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Verra nice bit 'o' brass, topo3man. Makes me wonder why I didn't get one of Leigh's "Classic" models with the decorated rim. Always been partial to the appearance of a tone ring and/or engraved rim.

Oh yeah... now I remember... I wanted an MR for the sound.

10. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    Tootsall,

Hate to say but I have an MR too. The Super is much brighter and a scream to play in the high register. It's a different animal than the Eclipse.