Olds Super Recording arrives!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Kevin Whiting, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    [​IMG]

So.....I won a bid for an Olds Super Recording on Ebay (Still can't believe it). I have wanted one of these gems for a long time, but suffered from empty wallet syndrome. Well, company hade a good year, so I pulled the trigger.

I opened the original case, and a huge musty smell took me back a step (Obviously been closed up for a long, long time). I took that step back and toughed my first Olds Super Recording (that's right, never even touched one in my life). I swear, I heard the angels sing!

Condition is what I expected. Remarkably, only two small dents - but for the crinkled on the bell. Everything was extremely dry, but all the slides came out - with a nice pop. Yup, my biggest fear is averted, as the valves look very good. I would even say exceptional.

So, it's off to Charlie Melk's on Monday or Tuesday. I am not even going to play it yet. I want my first blow on a SR to be something I will remember!

Thank you Santa!

BTW, A.N.A Mendez - after the SR is done, I may have to get to California so we can get these twins together.

Kevin

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Congratulations. Your dream has been realized. Mine languishes still, but as Scarlet said, "Tomorrow is another day."

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I think you should clean it, oil up the valves, put some treatment on the slides and play it! Really, you won't believe it.........

I'll wait.........................................................................

[​IMG]

Meant to put this up while waiting........

4. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    OK, you talked me into it. I oiled the valves and greased the slides. No time to clean, but it plays really really well. Really well! Just sings! This is going to be fun.

I am just tickled pink with this horn.

I don't think this horn was been played much, the plating on the valves looks almost new. Finish is really choppy, but Charlie will take care of that.

Thanks A.N.A.

Kevin

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Congrats, it's been fun to watch your acquisition come to fruition - thanks for sharing.
    Great to see you playing it straight away. Looks are not everything - however it is always the ugly ones that say this. Keep loving it, well done.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    If I was an envious person, I'd envy you, but I'm not. I celebrate your acquisition and wish you many years of enjoyment!

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Coo !

I did not have to do the valves on mine either ? Weird....

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Subscribed to witness the transformation.

10. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016
    I'm going to tell you a quick story that will make you Olds collectors sigh or cry. When I was a bandsman in Vietnam in 1968 we were issued brand new Olds Recording models. I loved the off-set keys, and they were sturdy well made horns. Long story short, after playing it for 12 months the band was deactivated and sent back to the States. I stayed another month to take advantage of a 5 month early out of the Army if I extended my time under 150 days. There was no more band for me as I was reassigned to an Infantry unit. On the way to my next unit I tossed the trumpet into the jungle from the back of a truck. ( Horrified yet?) It was dead weight for me and no longer useful where I was going. If there are any noted Vietnamese trumpet players around I'll take credit for supplying him with his first horn.