Olds Super Recording Club

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by mike ansberry, Oct 9, 2017.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a picture of my Olds Super Recording which from the serial number dates to 1940. This is in raw brass with the help of Maas brass polish:
    upload_2018-2-10_14-37-7.png

Kevin Whiting and Strobe like this.
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    upload_2018-2-10_15-0-7.png
    So this is my current horn configuration. My Olds Collection is at the right starting with the 1940's SR, the 1953 and 67 Recordings and the 65 Ambassador. My Getzens are in the middle with the Power Bore at top and my Eterna Flugel below. I placed my Kanstul 1526 Flugel in close proximity to my Olds (since they are family relatives), and my three outliers are on the left with the Allora Pocket Trumpet on top, then the '46 Martin Committee followed by my newest acquisition the 2017 Harrelson Summit.

I have yet to play the SR since I purchased the Summit but will do so tonight to give my comparisons.

To give you some of my bias, I initially used my SR as my lead horn until I got the Getzen Power Bore, which the was ultimately replaced by the Harrelson.

The Committee remains my small ensemble go to horn however as does the Kanstul flugel.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  3. Strobe

Strobe Pianissimo User

Jul 5, 2016
    Northern Ohio
    Nice collection! Like that you have them on the wall for display. I'd consider doing this but afraid my wife would start counting my horns. : )

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ha... What I didn't show on the above cropped photo is my wife's flute. It is top center in the overall configuration. So my wife's instrument gets top billing which is how I got her to accept the fact that her flute "rules" over my 10 horns that fall in line below. I know how to use diplomacy when it really counts! :wub:

5. Strobe

Strobe Pianissimo User

Jul 5, 2016
    Northern Ohio
    Smart move!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Okay, I played a two hour session with both horns this evening. Man was that a good feel! So the comparison: The SR definitely brighter and so clean flowing. The Harrelson, fuller (not darker; fuller). Key action was fast on the SR but more fluid on the Harrelson. Neither got in the way of some cut throat be-bop improvisation. I actually preferred the brightness on be-bop riffs of the SR over the Harrelson.

On ballads, both were luscious but the Harrelson more seductive.

Ease of play. Both were amazingly kind after two hours to my embouchure. I mean I ended the night with Lee Morgan's Hocus Pocus and the accuracy I was able to achieve by both horns would not be possible with the other horns in my collection.

However; risk taking was so much easier with the Harrelson. It just took off and flowed effortlessly in the higher range allowing more flirtatious experimentation with phrases and progressions. Don't get me wrong the SR took me through some risky moves, but I had the feel of more apprehension, while the Harrelson effortlessly flowed like a cool mountain stream.

When you get to this quality of horns, man, it's not the horn but it is you that are the winner.

stumac likes this.
  7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    It says a lot for the Olds craftsmen when a 78 year old horn can match performance with one of the best of modern. I have just been comparing my 1949 SR to my 2008 Eclipse MS, the Eclipse being a little brighter they are both superb.

Regards, Stuart.

gmonady likes this.
  8. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here's one.
    IMG_20141018_221212.jpg IMG_20141018_221920.jpg IMG_20141018_221932.jpg IMG_20141018_222041.jpg

9. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Drooool......I had a Super Recording but the bell was so buffed to crap as the engraving was so faint on it.
    It also didn't play and there were leaks so I eventually sold it thinking the next owner would somehow try to restore the beat down horn.

10. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Beautiful!!