WTB: Olds Super Recording trumpet

Discussion in 'Bb Trumpets' started by Wilf, May 24, 2016.

1. Wilf

Wilf New Friend

Jul 20, 2009
    Hi all
    Finally, after years of life things being more important, I have the money and cannot for the life of me find a Super Recording!

I've seen a few on AliExpress but know nothing about buying from China and have heard a couple of scare stories about good fakes coming from there....anyone know anything about this or have any warnings?

So if you have a Super Recording OR can shed any light on buying instruments over AliExpress then please get in touch!!
    :thumbsup:

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Have you tried Centex Brass? Clay often has them, I have bought several horns from him, good to deal with.

It took me several years to get mine, last minute sniped on a couple on ebay, eventually got a very nice 1949 from Quality Brass at a very reasonable price.

There is one for sale at Oz Winds here in Australia, beautifully restored to as new condition, AUD$4800.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Wilf

Wilf New Friend

Jul 20, 2009

Cheers Stuart. That one looks lovely but I'm now kicking myself for not checking Clay's page this week! :roll:
    There's one there I could stretch to....time to dust off the wallet.
    Just goes to show, sometimes it pays to think aloud!

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I may have a lead on a nice one. I have a pro friend down sizing.......

5. Cowtowntrumpet

Cowtowntrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    i have bought a couple horns from Centex Brass. Clay is great and knows his stuff. A.N.A. Mendez knows his Olds horns too and he has great connections and I think I have bought at least one Olds horn with his help. You can't go wrong with either of them!

6. Wilf

Wilf New Friend

Jul 20, 2009
    Great thanks. Please message me with any details.

Any headsup on Aliexpress though guys? I'd just like to have a clue about whether these horns are ones which have been bought and restored to 'look' good enough but could be full of rot etc....OR whether they're potentially fakes....(though feeling that's a stretch)

Shop olds super recording online Gallery - Buy olds super recording for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

There's one there who's title/subject line is taken straight from an old ebay listing of QuinnTheEskimo (I recall him selling a couple of old bangers there a year or so back)

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Aliexpress is like any other internet store with multiple 1000's of items/sellers. Some are good and others not so much. Your link did not take me to the Olds. As a matter of fact, using their search bar, I never got to any Olds trumpet. I do now know that Trumpeter makes model aircraft!

8. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Looks like they have copied ebay listings on their site.... What do they do when you try to buy ? Go find one ?? I don't get it.... :-?

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  10. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Anyone seriously interested in my friends SR.... contact me and I'll put you in touch with him.......