Olds Super Star - Flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by MBM, Jun 8, 2010.

1. MBM

MBM New Friend

Aug 9, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    So I was cleaning up some of my horns this weekend and pulled out the Flugelhorn I used to play (*former* pro here), and realized that I don't really know anything about it. ...figuring some one on here would, I thought I would ask if any one had any additional info about the model they could share. I've seen Robb Stewart's brief page, which is interesting, but I was hoping for more info. ...who played them, duration of the run (horn-u-copia was a bit lacking, just listing the example as from 1975), quirks, opinions, and random thoughts. I've owned mine since the early 80's, and no... not for sale.:play:

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Wow. I didn't know that Olds made a flugel other than the CT and the L-12. I love my L-12, and would sure like to play a CT and SuperStar flugel.

3. MBM

MBM New Friend

Aug 9, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Mike, it's a nice flugel. ...very mellow (duh?), and slots better than anything I own from the top of the staff down. If you find yourself in Florida, you'd be welcome to give it a try. In the meantime, here's the one website I've found: Olds Bush Flugelhorn

Enjoy!

4. riverboat gambler

riverboat gambler New Friend

Aug 1, 2009
    Texas
    I don't know anything about the flugel horn but the super star trumpet sure has a great sound. Does anyone have any deatailed information on one?

Thanks

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    MBM - We would love some photos of the flugel. (It is necessary to upload them to an external hosting site like PhotoBucket and then copy the .IMG link into your post). It would be interesting to see any construction similarities with the SuperStar Trumpet (such as the straight-through air path in the valve cluster). Or, compare it to the other Olds flugel models. I have both for comparison.

Hey, Riverboat Gambler, Welcome to Trumpetmaster. We encourage new members to post some information about background, interests, etc. in the "Introduction and Greetings" section. (The tab to start a new thread is under "Forum Tools" on the blue line that appears when you are in the forum home page).

As far as detailed information on the SuperStar trumpet, what sort of thing would you like to know? There is information on some of the related websites but as a starter, I will give some basics. The primary key features are (1) the valve cluster is uniquely designed to allow a straight-through air flow with all valves up (interesting to watch the cleaning snake go right though when servicing the horn). So, all 3 valves are identical and thus interchangeable (not recommended after they have been broken in). Also, the bell is referred to as "Ultrasonic", a mark that appears on the mouthpiece receiver which confuses some people as they think that refers to the leadpipe rather than the bell itself. This type of bell was formed with an with a rapidly expanding pressure wave (referred to as an "explosion" but I don't think they used dynamite) rather than the traditional hammering method. It supposedly forms a more uniform bell thickness and contour for better sound. Other features, such as the hexagonal valve caps, are purely cosmetic but overall it is a very impressive sounding and looking trumpet. I really like mine.

Here is a photo showing how the interconnecting pipes through the valves are all in a straight line. Note that to achieve that design, the bottom pipe from the main tuning slide is behind the third valve tuning slide where it enters the third valve casing.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one of the mouthpiece receiver with "UltraSonic" engraved (refers to the bell)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    One of the most under rated horn they made in the later years. I love mine!

7. riverboat gambler

riverboat gambler New Friend

Aug 1, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you very much for the information. I was wanting to know if there was any Olds printed materials out there on the web anywhere?

Thanks again,

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    There are some old catalogs on the web, look at the Olds central site but ignore the article were some guy compares the super star to the pinto...Rubbish

http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm

9. MBM

MBM New Friend

Aug 9, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I was away from the computer for a few days, so missed the posts until just now. I'll upload some pics later this week. The valve structure on the flugel is definitely not the same as there's no straight path through the valves. So perhaps the only relationship is the process of bell formation (?). I've gotten offers on it about every time I've let some one else play it, but can't let it go. I'll post pics tomorrow!

10. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    To bad more were not made. I like the design of it. Should be easy to hold. Like the fixed third slide throw and the thumb hook first slide throw.

Should be easier to tune that way, instead of Trigger type set ups.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010