Olds Super Star Valve Tops - Plastic & Brass

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Peter McNeill, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi All,

Can anyone who has owned or played an Olds SuperStar Ultrasonic model trumpet, noticed that the original plastic tops on the valves have been replaced by some players.

The horn I have is a great player, but the original plastic tops have been replaced with brass, and it is a sweet horn. I can only think it was done to improve something that was an issue.

Does anyone have experience with why these changes have been done. I have seen a few of these with this modification.

I will try to get some photos of my horn up over the weekend to be clear about the issue. But if anyone is familiar with the horn, they will know what I am talking about.

BTW I love the horn, it is not original because of this change, but I don't care, it is a great player.
    Cheers

2. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Peter,

I am not sure on this, but I thought that some Super Stars came with brass valve tops. Perhaps the later years? Again, not sure. What year is your Super Star?

BTW - I had my Super Star at a trumpet hang last year, and many players could not put it down. They were truely surprised.

Kevin

3. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Kevin,

My Brass Valve tops have a serial number 113xxx stamped on them, and my horn is 821xxx (from memory - will check tomorrow, but definitely 8xxxxx). So the valve tops are not the same serial number, so have been changed after being produced I believe.

I too was very surprised with this horn. It sits at the top of the Olds group of horns I have, better than the Ambassador, Studio, Super, Opera, Recording - the Olds Super Recording that Stumac has would nudge it aside, but the SuperStar is very under-rated IMO, maily because it was the end of the line I suppose. It seems to be a specific solution to a problem with the plastic tops.

4. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Hmmm. I wonder if the Pinto came with brass valve guides and fit on the Super Star Valves. This is very interesting to me.

Perhaps ANA knows more.

The valve guides on my Super Star are plastic, and are buttery smooth and fast. Would be intersting to see how it sounds with brass guides.

Kevin

5. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
  6. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    As far as I know all Olds horns came with brass valve guides until some time in the 60's I have had quite a few Olds horns and still own a Super cornet 1959, a Super trumpet 1949 and a Super trumpet 1965 - all of them with brass valve guides. There is nothing at all wrong with them, the plastic ones are some cheap money saving/bean counting alternative brought in at a later time.
    But if you want the expert on Olds horns ask A.N.A Mendez on this forum, he'll answer your original question more precisely than I did.

7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

Hi Kevin,
    Yes that is what mine looks like, off set 3rd slide throw ring, and the 1st as well. My valves are serial numbered, with an early serial number, so I am thinking they have been changed - pretty certain.

funnyhaze,
    It is not the guide, it is the whole top assembly with the slots that the guide sits in.
    I have a gig today, so I will get the photos up tonight when I get home. Just interesting to see the two sets,

Here is one jrd19580 has on WTT at the moment, and the same photo you can see the valve tops.
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f209/wtt-olds-super-star-what-ya-85893.html