Olds SYM/Symphony Trumpet? Something else?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vtrumpets, Sep 18, 2015.

1. vtrumpets

vtrumpets New Friend

Mar 5, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I don't post much on here but posted a bit over a year ago about an Olds Super Recording I have. Great trumpet and I have since discovered "The Olds" and have one and got another for a friend and these are AMAZING trumpets. Both of these were 2,XXX serial numbers. Well, I just got another Olds and it is 1,6XX and is .462 bore (measured with accurate caliper) which is much larger than the 2 "The Olds" I have played and has SYM across the valve block. It has to be the best trumpet I have ever played, even better than the Super Recording I have. The bell says just "The Olds" but it definitely looks all original and that it all went together with that valve block. Above the SYM is what looks almost like a backwards S - it definitely is not a small bore though. Any ideas or comments about what "model" trumpet this is or any other information that you may know about something like this? Serial number 1,6XX and is probably the best playing trumpet I have ever seen. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

2. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    SYM indicates the very large bore and was an option on a number of models, depending on the era.

You have a very special, very early instrument, there. You can read up on them at Olds Central.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If it's taking up too much space, I will be happy to offer my assistance....;-)

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Or if any of those Supers need clearing out, let me know, lol.

The buzzards are circling.

5. vtrumpets

vtrumpets New Friend

Mar 5, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Thank you very much for the replies so far. I am amazed at this trumpet. Interestingly, I just played a Yamaha 8310Z (Bobby Shew) trumpet last week and people consider those pretty good. And quite frankly, it had a nice upper register, was a decent trumpet. But, it is amazing to me how much better some of these Olds trumpets are. My super recording is so much better than that Yamaha - easier to play, MUCH more depth/possible colors to the sound, more versatile, and better valve action. Then, I get this SYM "The Olds" and can't believe how amazing it is. It is crazy how nice this trumpet is. The depth/color/whatever you call it to the sound....WOW! The ONLY issue I have had with "The Olds" is the Ab below the staff is quite low when centered for the trumpet. It has been that way on all 3 "The Olds" I have played. This particular one is the best of the 3 with that Ab but still slightly low. It isn't anything you can't correct but the center for that note on these trumpets is slightly low. I will take that ONE "issue" (it really isn't that bad even) considering everything else.