Olds - The New Versions

Discussion in 'Horns' started by interfx, May 31, 2004.

1. interfx

interfx New Friend

Jan 18, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Who is the fg of the new line of OLDS trumpets? I have looked for a while, and can't seem to locate the current owners of the brand?

Are they made by Kanstul? or a lesser quality like Amati or Jupiter???

Any ideas are appreciated...

Thanks -
    Todd

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    A company in NJ (I think NJ) has purchased the Olds name. They do not make the horns. At the moment, Blessing makes the horns for them (to the best of my knowledge).

www.feolds.com

The are really working the beginner and intermediate markets. They cost a bit more than similar Blessing horns, but they offer a 10 year warranty.

The Blessing horns are a very good value horn. They make great horns at a reasonable price. Olds, obviously does the same, and adds a warranty.

Jim

3. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

I was going to say that someone on TH was selling one on marketplace and from what I have read it is not as good as the other Olds on the market. I mean the 1970's version.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The Jupiter XO Tribune is excellent quality, comparable to Kanstul, IMHO.

Dave

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Jupiter is a company that is evolving. They concentrated on the beginner's market and at first price was a primary selling point. But as all the crappy Chinese and India horns have shown, price is not everything.

Jupiter has wanted to produce good horns. They have had a steep learning curve and it seems to be paying off. Their new bass trombones are excellent. The XO series has received great reviews. While the lower lines may yet still suffer some, Jupiter, as there website says, is rising.

Expect better and better horns from Jupiter as time goes on. The hard part will be telling people you are playing a Jupiter until they get used to their quality being up on the top-shelf.

Jim

6. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    US
    How did you get to Jupiter from OLDS here?
    so you saying the Blessing company is making OLDS? say it again. is it so? do yo know for how many years?
    The Olds student horns 5 or 6 years ago I wouldn't pay any money for them.

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Reread the thread. I think the quotes make it clear.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    They are made by Blessing. The are actually very good student horns and approaching intermediate status. They are not any competition for the artist or pro markets at all. But because of the warranty, the sell plenty to schools ... smart.

Jim