Olds Trumpet value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by gabskee, May 27, 2010.

1. gabskee

gabskee New Friend

May 27, 2010
    Hey guys,

I was going through my closet today, when I found my 1st trumpet, my parents had bought me in about 1995. It was used, though still to this day is in ammaculate condition. I remember an old band leader once told me I had my hands on a quality trumpet.

On the neck of the horn the engravements are:

Olds
    Ambassador
    Fullerton
    Calif.

This trumpet has no dents, and only minor surface scratches. The valves are smooth and quick. It plays very well. My question is, What is the worth of such a trumpet?

Edit: Here is a Link to a Photo Click Here

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Probably $200-$300, depending on condition and whether it has the original lacquer. It's a very good student-grade instrument.

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Better than student grade. There were (are) pros who play the Ambassador. The price quoted is about right, but only because there are so many on the market. Great horn.

ed

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I agree with the others. What is the serial, found on the valve casing? Then the trumpet can be dated.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, it was marketed and sold as the bottom of the line Olds, the entry level student horn. It's much better than many horns that are called "student level", and a lot of people love 'em. I'll leave my personal opinion out of it, though...;-)

6. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I would agree with the $200-$300 mark. I got my LA Ambassador for $350

7. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I would also agree with the estimates provided. What MFhorn is getting at is a pretty big factor in the value of an Olds Ambassador. The manufacture date has a substantial influence upon the "desirability". For collectors, the LA horns are top of the heap. The post LA to late 50's era Fullertons may be next, although that seems to vary. The 60's horns bring higher prices than 70's horns. And, there is the story about how quality fell off at the Olds plant in the very early 70's. I understand the theory there, but have seen no evidence of it myself.

I paid around $130 on ebay for a very clean 1975 model with nearly perfect lacquer and one minor dent in the bell, including a decent original Olds wood case and a Bach 7C mouthpiece; a super deal, IMHO. That's still a Fullerton horn, but after they started applying the GM Part # Stamp on the bell vice the former, prefered engraving. I see no difference in quality between it and a 1957 model with the broomstick spitvalves or a 1972 model. But, I think the sales price for the 75 model reflected the manufacture date and not the actual quality (for me, at least).

In the condition that you describe and if it is a 60's model, I think the $300 is right there. For an early 70's model, a bit above $200. From there until end of production the value seems to suffer.

Hope that helps some. All Olds Ambassadors (LA and Fullerton) are priceless to me. :D