Olds Trumpet Value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ShikikanZero, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ShikikanZero

ShikikanZero New Friend

Jun 18, 2010
    i found a olds ambassador trumpet for $39, problem was stuck valves, but was in really nice condition. i fixed the problem, and its just sitting collecting dust now. kinda interested in what it could be valued at? ive included some pictures. thanks!

Trumpet pictures by shikikanzero - Photobucket

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I'll give you $40 for it:roll:

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Check ebay current and completed listings for Olds Ambassadors values, etc.

4. Weevie

Weevie New Friend

May 31, 2010
    Gloucestershire, UK
    This looks like quite an old one to me for what that's worth.
    I've just paid $300 for a 1955 Ambassador and I'm delighted with it. I think you've done really well for $39, well done!

5. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I cannot make out the whole serial number from the photos; however, since it is on the right side of the valve body and it appears to be 5 digits, it is an early 50's or earlier manufacture. The broom stick spit valves line up with that timeframe. What does the bell engraving say? Fullerton or L.A.? Collectors will pay more for an L.A. horn.

Also hard to determine the overall condition from the photos. If the horn is fully functional and not dented significantly, it should bring at least $200.

6. dr-pepp

dr-pepp Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2005
    Austin TX
    There are so many ambassadors out there, even the older ones, that they will not be worth a lot any time soon. Still, looks to be a very early 50's model based on amount of nickel silver trim (and a 5 digit sn in the 40xxx range). With original case, etc. this might have gone for $200-$250 a couple of years ago, but the demand seems to have dropped a bit. Still, worth a lot more than you paid.

7. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    I picked up a LA era Olds Studio in excellent condition which is a step up from the Ambassador and same era as your horn for $120.00 about four months ago. The values for Ambassadors seem to be down some right now but you never know who may be shopping eBay and want what you are selling ..... or not. I think that $100 to $200 is a fair range but in auction could go higher.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Do you play? How does it sound? How is the valve action? Any signs of wear or leaking in the valves? Those issues will all affect the value. I can't make out the engraving on the bell but the case definitely is an LA style. So, it could bring a bit more on ebay if the playing condition is top-drawer.

9. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    If I'm seeing those pictures clearly, it's an LA model, SN 42419, and the lacquer is in nice shape. There are a couple of unpleasant dents in the bell, which will hurt the value, but it's not the end of the world. If the valves are in decent shape, I bet you've got yourself a really nice player - ideal student horn or a decent pro back-up.

I just picked up an LA model SN 69xxx for $115 plus shipping, and (though I haven't got the horn in my hands yet) I expect it was a very solid deal. At any rate, 39 bones is a give-away. Enjoy it!

Steve-o

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'll give you AUD$50. ;-)