OMG, another oil question!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    My older horns have good compression with either sinthetic or regular oils. Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Al Cass vs Ultrapure.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yup,
    petroleum based oils evaporate within 24 hours, synthetic need days or weeks. If you oil daily, it doesn't matter. Once the petroleum part is gone, what is left is the sludge around the valve as well as some paraffin that is in the oil. That does NOT protect your valves.

The danger in synthetics is that we do not clean and reoil often enough. The sludge stays in the horn.

Oil is there to protect the valve, allow easy motion and flush out the contaminents and aerosols. This works if you oil daily with petroleum based oils or 3-4 day with synthetics.

Since I switched to synthetics, the wear on the valves has gone down greatly. I do not oil often enough.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Do you mean another reason beyond the fact that UltraPure lasts much longer, is non-toxic, doesn't stink, and doesn't have a negative recommendation from Kanstul?

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi BlindBruce,
    Here's my experience with oils:
    For a long time I used Al Cass oil. However, as my playing time increased, I found the oil too thin and would wear out too fast. I then went to Ultrapure. What I found was that the oil was very slick and the valves worked great but it seemed that the ultrapure wore out even faster than the al cass.
    I now use Binak. It lasts longer and is slick enough to keep the valves working very well.