On my own...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnleopold, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Hello... Anyone...

I have an old trumpet that I 've been teaching myself to play and I want to know if any of you are self taught and can you provide any recommendations. I found two video tapes on how to play trumpet at my local music store and the seem to be pretty good but limited on instruction. If I had the extra money I would take lessons but money tight right now. I have a Bundy Selmer thats about 26-27 years old.( ya put it off for a long time)

Long story short... I don't think I'll be an Eddie Harris or Less McCann but some day I'd like to take a shot at playing Cold Duck...

So any tips ? based on my situtation ?

John

2. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Buy basic Brass bby Bert Truax. It has all the fundamental things that wil help you. SOund, range, and tone. Also work through Arban's(internet has practice scedualling)

Good Luck,
    AndrewWK

3. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Hey thanks a lot... I'll try that...
    Also... would a keyboard help me to find the right sounds of the notes ?

4. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Bert, hwom i take lessons from, uses the keyboard for the Jame Stamp buzzing exercieses because those are for slotting the notes on the mp. I suggest buying the cd. it is only $20 bucks and along with the books you will have much to do.

Good luck with everything,
    AndrewWK

5. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Thanks ... CD it is.. ! --- do you think I could learn Jazz Trumpet ?

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I would say go ahead a try to get at least one lesson with somebody/anybody. Then Record it!

Better to avoid bad habits now, of course any guy can figure the trumpet out on their own but at what cost?It could take you 5 times as long and give you plenty of bad habits to overcome.

Trumpet is hard enough as it is, why make it any harder by looking for the “path†when there are plenty of people that can show it to you.

7. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004

I would suggest "Jazz Tactics" by Chase Sanborn.
    http://chasesanborn.com/

Good luck,
    AndrewWK

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Get thee to the nearest music conservatory and get at least one lesson. Then decide if you want to continue with lessons there or find someone who can "fit" with you and understands your situation. Even if you only spend a half hour a week with them for three or four months it will be money well spent.

Yes, I know that you said that money was tight at the moment... but I'll bet you could find a "student teacher" for very little cost.

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I would not use a keyboard, unless you can transpose from C (Piano) to Bb (Trumpet). Also, it would be good to find someone to take at least one lesson from. Instructors can point you in the right direction, and can correct problems before they become habit. I wished I had taken instruction during my first five years of playing....

Van

10. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    John -

Welcome to the fold. I am a comeback player who started back in January 2003 after 30 years off. I had not touched a horn since 8th grade, though I am a keyboard player and have been in a rock band for about 5 years as well as composing and recording electronic music. However, I really missed playing the trumpet, so I decided to buy one and get back into it.

I picked up a new horn and started playing on my own for a few weeks, but my wife talked me into taking lessons at the local music store. I did that for about 3 months, but quit when other events started eating into my time. Also, I felt I was not progressing that well just taking lessons and practicing.

I continued to just play at home for my amusement for the next year, and with a bit of a musical ear and a bank account that allows me to buy a few horns and mouthpieces, I have progressed fairly well, though I have no delusions of playing professionally as an end goal.

What has really helped me in the last several months is joining a Brass Ensemble at work. My schedule makes it basically impossible for me to play with any of the community bands and ensembles in the area (and in the Baltimore/Washington/Northern Virginia area there are dozens of them), but the group meets at work one afternoon per week for an hour, so I can sneak out and get back before I am missed.

The group are all far better players than I, but they tolerate me, and the leader is extremely supportive and even has acted as a bit of a teacher to me. This weekly workout has forced me to focus my practices towards meeting specific goals (i.e. nailing my solo in Ain't Misbehaving or building up consistent march tonguing for the Sousa marches), and when I played in my first concert in August, I think I really did my part.

I am not writing this to say that getting instruction is worthless, but I do think that you will find you progress more when you are actually working towards a performance than just learning scales and songs for a weekly lesson. Go out and find a local group of players who don't mind a beginner sitting in to learn and improve. To me, that is the best use of your time towards the end of becoming a better player.

Good luck.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland