On the Passing of an old freind

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by tpter1, May 4, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I just found out today that an old buddy of mine passed away of cancer. He had been diagnosed a while ago, and we knew things were going to end soon for him.

He was a tuba player while we were in hs and junior high together. Quite a good one, too. Did Vaughan-Williams in his senior year. We went on to community college together, marched in drum corps together. (He played Contra, of course) back in the day of g/d,rotary-valve and 2-valve instruments. Had some great memories down by the docks of the Great South Bay and after hs graduation. Hope he forgives me for what happened to his freshly painted blue Camaro SS and a few too many cold ones...

After community college, when I went on to do a 4-year degree, we lost touch.

He was the same age as I am now, with a daughter from a previous marriage. Kind of puts things in perspective when that happens.

When you get home, hug your children. If you have freinds that you have lost touch with, find them, give them a thought or an e-mail.

*Synchronicity/Odd coincidence: this is post number 128...the maximum number of people allowed in a drum corps at the time we marched; my old college professor has just put an alumni news link on his website, and I have been hearing for the past 2 days or so from people I've not been in touch with in 15 years, some of them.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Glenn, be at ease knowing that his suffering has ended. I lost my best buddy several years ago to the same disease. Play a tune for him, he's listening.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Toots-Thanks. I have band in 2 periods...we're playing Ticheli's Shenandoah. Hope I can hold together.

4. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I am at the age where I lose friends and acquaintances every so often, even when we know someone is getting close to passing we are never ready to lose a friend. I know there are no words to help but think of all the fun times you guys had together and remember real men are allowed to cry. I will say a prayer for you and your friend. old geezer Dave :cry:

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Thanks, Dave. My day is over here, so now I have time to think and meditate on him. There are alot of very fun memories indeed.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ticheli is one of my favorite versions of Shenandoah. If you've got enough trumpets in your band room you might want to check into James Olcott's version for 9 trumpets. You can view/hear it at http://www.triplo.com and link through from there. (the direct link doesn't work)

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hey, Toots. Just gave that a listen. Nice arrangement...very accessible to high schoolers, with some nice surprises. I don't have 9 hs players there, yet. It's a small school. If I spread out to 6th and maybe my best 5th (they still have some rhythm issues sometimes, though) we could almost have it covered. Might be a neat thing for next year. (I'll have more players!) My first in hs will be a senior; I could give him a chance to run a group and do it at graduation...

8. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    Been a tough few months for me. A good friend died 5Nov04 from cancer. Three days after his passing my teammate who is a very close friend was diagnosed with Level III cancer. He has whipped it so far. Last night a friend of mine called to tell me that he has colon cancer. His spirits are high, and it sounds like they will be able to take it out. Still, growing old is humbling. I can no longer count all of the friends I have lost over the years.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There is a way to handle it: we've done that piece with 6 players. Combine the 1st and 2nd parts (I think those are the ones...I'd have to check at home) and there are two others which can be combined into one part. Then there is a part (one of the flugels) that can be "chucked out the window". Now you're down to 6. It still works pretty well since only a couple of notes are missing but it does mean "a blow" for the lead player. Not impossible though.

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yoder- We are doing a fundraiser for Relay for Life with some of our jazz band members. I am sure we can put a thought in our hearts for you and your freinds.

Toots- We have 7 total, so I can probaly use one of the flugel parts or double the 1st to allow for resting/trade-off. Sounds interesting. I'll add it to my music requests for next year and give it a shot!