On The Trumpet Again.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChilaxinC, May 21, 2012.

1. ChilaxinC

ChilaxinC New Friend

May 15, 2012
    Hello everyone at Trumpet Master, I have a bit of a problem.

I use to play trumpet (About 5.5 years ago), after playing the trumpet I took up the Tuba because the bad I was in had about 12 trumpets and no Tuba, so I volunteered.

Now I wish to play trumpet again.

My problem is I CAN NOT play the correct notes anymore, I haven't played tuba in over 3 years but for some reason I just can not play the correct notes, I remember all of the fingerings but when I go to tune my trumpet I can not tune to C.

If I use a 7C mouthpiece I am VERY LUCKY if I can get a C# out of it, and if I use a 3C mouthpiece I usually get a A# or B.

It definitely does not help your self esteem not being able to play your favorite instrument but I will NOT give up..

My question is, how can I fix this predicament? Is it me or is it the trumpet I have? I just wish it was as easy as picking it up and playing it again haha

Thank you in advance to everyone that helps

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Well, being patient for a comeback player is a must. Just start with what you can do and keep at it. Every dent you make is progress. Get an elementary book and start from there, that's what I did. Then progress to an Arbans method book and progress from there. Never giving up, that's the SPIRIT!

3. ChilaxinC

ChilaxinC New Friend

May 15, 2012
    Well I have all of my books from school and all of the extra sheet music, but I don't like playing when I know I am not playing the wrong note because then I am teaching my muscles to keep playing that wrong note

4. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Heck, I'm moving back from just a euph and it seems to take forever, so I can certainly sympathize, but you will get successes one note at a time with (yep, you knew it was coming) relentless practice. If you're stumbling in the move from bass clef back to treble, I'm struggling with the move to learn bass clef for my euph. As an old trumpet player I lazily just stuck with TC music, and now I'm interested in the BC world as well.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It starts with small steps. You have to focus on getting that first sound. I call the lip placement "M-bouchure". Purse the lips like when you are pronouncing the letter m and then blow - no horn or mouthpiece yet. When you can get a reliable buzz WITHOUT hardware, do the same just with the mouthpiece placed about 50% on the top and 50% on the bottom lip. This may not be your position of choice later, but now we are focussing on just getting the buzz working. Deep inhale and no serious pressure to get the buzz going. Once the buzz works on the mouthpiece, add the horn - still no real pressure to get the sound going. Once you get a sound, play it as long as you can. Long tones are a very important part of a stable embouchure and need to be in everyones daily routine.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am with Rowuk on this one..
    my guess ( these are educated guesses) is :
    > your lips probabably protude more on a tuba so the "m" thing will bring them back in
    > the placement thing .. trying to get the feeling back to where the mp should be placed..
    > I imagine the embrouchure has a bigger openning in the lips for tube so you have to learn to bring it back to size.
    > I am also guessing that you us a higher volume of air to play tube than trumpet ... so you have to control that without losing your support.
    > Once you get to them ... soft long tones .. trying to get your horn to resonate purely with minimal air.
    If you do the things Rowuk said and just trust you will get there ... you don't have to be satisfied with where you are at but don't beat yourself up either. Relax and let it happen.
    I found this on the TH site ... and I think it might be helpful .... after you get through Rowuks comments.
    http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/1930sRev.pdf

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Not trying to be smart but if you are playing a Bb trumpet, playing the C,
    it should tune to A# or Bb on the tuner with the tuning slide appr 1/2-ish inch out.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That was the first thing that came to my mind.

Sounds like the OP is trying to tune his C to a piano or another C instrument...

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    What a coincidence! I've been progressing for the last couple years and my embouchure has gotten stronger. BUT I always felt as though I let it "wander" between a kiss or whistle type shape and other shapes. But literally just this past weekend I feel like I finally settled on something that works exactly right, and I've been fishing around for a little picture or idea for it for my own mind. And that's exactly it... M ! Thanks!

10. ChilaxinC

ChilaxinC New Friend

May 15, 2012
    I always thought thats why I had to tune to, when I played trumpet in the band you just played the notes and he told you if we were out of tune or not.

So when I try and play a C I should be getting A# on the tuner?

Ill have to try that.