On triggers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'd just like to set the record a little straight. Some people have got the idea that I am one of the "Trigger Nazis" for want of a better phrase. In an English Brass Band certainly toward the mid to high levels triggers are regarded as a necesesity. That is not altogether my opinion. I personally prefer triggers to rings because the size of my hands makes manipulating rings and saddles very difficult. It is my belief that triggers are a little quicker than the other option although I have no empirical evidence to back this up.

What has caused the issues is the beliefs of the Brass Band world in this country. When I tell a potential Brass Bander that they need to have a trigger cornet I am trying to give the view from the world that they are looking to enter not to impose my belief or to belittle other instruments. Of course I have played in British Brass Bands and I have my own feelings but that is not the point I am trying to make.

It is a case of culture, the culture of the English Brass Band is that one needs triggers on a cornet and no amount of claiming that rings are just as good is going to change that predjudiced juggernaut.

I hope that goes some way to explaining the situation to those not quite in the know and why I have to give that advice. Even if it is snobbish, wrong and insults the inttrument a given player is using.

Cheers

A

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have played cornets with two triggers, but I don't really like a trigger on the 3rd slide. I'm sure my preference for a 3rd slide ring stems from using that style of intonation aid for most of my life. I'm fine with 1st valve triggers, though. I do find that with triggers, you can have a tighter fit between slide legs and receivers, which is probably a good thing, and you can be a little more lax with lubing them. I have the 3rd slides on my horns so smooth that they will move with the slightest finger movement in the ring, with no interruption in tone production.

As far as playing in adjudicated brass band contests here in the U.S., the only ones I've participated in are "blind" competitions. The judges are behind a curtain and have no idea which band they are hearing (and can't see them either), so there's no prejudice...trigger or otherwise.

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    My Conn 60b has a trigger, my Holton B-47 has 2, as does my special ordered Strad, my Recording has 1 and a Reynolds something I have stashed away has 2. I like them better, they seem more intuitive and natural, although I rarely use them except for pro chart gigs and recordings, where precision comes before fun.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Guns and cornets need triggers. I cannot use a slide as fast as I can a trigger, that could just be me. If I have a D quaver I'll trigger it on a cornet but ignore it on my trumpets.

5. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    The judges are behind the curtain here too Dale but they all will know a particular sound from a particular band and these guys will spot a fly landing on a timp and mark the percussion section down. What needs to be remembered is that for the most part now people in Brass Bands have grown up with triggers (for better or worse) and therefore they are the norm, a slower ring/saddle will be spotted/heard so nobody does it. If say Rapier (hope you don't mind pal) fails to adjust a quaver on a ringed instrument because he feels it is too fast to bother and the rest of the front row trigger it there goes a mark because it will be heard.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I trigger/saddle all my quavers. I don't usually use them with semiquavers, demisemiquavers, or hemidemisemiquavers, though.

Do y'all actually use those terms in conversation when discussing music?...:lol:

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    No we just play them, or try to.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I tend to adjust for anything on the beat or otherwise accented, and repeated notes

...and yes!

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My horn through high school had a trigger( Reynolds Argenta), got to be second nature. Current stable except for the flugle just have the hooks. Would love to have a trigger again:oops:

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When I was growing up, clear lacquer was cooler than sand-blasted silver. Seems to be the same with triggers.