On Vacation- MP buzzing exclusively

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LLD, Dec 24, 2007.

1. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    Hi there. I'm on vacation out of state until friday, and I didn't have room to bring my trumpet, but I did grab my mouthpiece, hoping that I could buzz often and still retain my ability when I got back.

I've heard a lot of bad news about playing with a practice mute and nothing else, and was wondering if anyone had advice or words of warning about doing only buzzing for a week or so.

Would I be better off not playing at all?

I am doing the 'pencil excercise' each day as well.

Thanks for anything.

2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I can't speak for the pencil exercise, but I do play on my mouthpiece alone if I don't have access to a trumpet. I feel that it helps me to do so. I do it for about 15" a day.
    Roy Griffin

3. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Have you ever thought of getting a pocket trumpet?? I just recently bought one and I love it. It's small and easy to carry. If you can't. I'm sure buzzing is good, but of course you can't buzz all the notes.

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Not to be argumentative, but I can play anything on my mouthpiece that I can play on the trumpet. Of course the first 15" of my day are devoted to mouthpiece playing. I also practice over three hours a day, or I would cut down the mouthpiece time. Whatever works for you.
    Roy

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key to success is making arrangements! The mouthiece is better than no horn at all and the pencil is most useful when combined with playing.

A practice mute is only dangerous when you long term have no other choice. As long as your playing is reasonably strong, a week or 2 of pracice with a silencer will not "hurt" anything. What you will notice is that when you start to play again without the mute, that you will need to concentrate on the sound.
    The order of goodness:
    with trumpet in good room
    with trumpet in bad room
    with trumpet and mute wherever
    with mouthpiece
    with pencil alone

Do not stop playing. That is definitely BAD!

administrator likes this.