One day you can just play the horn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 19, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have been practicing trumpet for several years, and recently I have noticed a substantial drop in the effort required to play the instrument, and not needing nearly as much time to maintain skills, and the horn sounds like a trumpet. Is this a common phenomena, that one day you can just play the trumpet?

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Practice makes perfect they say. If you are satisfied with how you play, thats great, but I believe you never stop improving your skills. You need harder music if you are breazing along. Dont tell us you can play anything they put in front of you. Its boring without a chalenge so step it up. Best wishes.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    one day you can just play the trumpet?? -- dude you gotta be kidding me --- I would say give it a week! try marching and playing the trumpet, or try to play it upside down (the trumpet) --and then YOU, stand on your head and play the trumpet. I think ONE DAY next week, or the week after, you will have a BAD practice where you clam notes, or miss notes -------------------Then, please come back here, and tell us HOW EASY the trumpet is ----------DUDE, the moral of the story is!!!!!!!!!! --- don't get overconfident that you KNOW how to play the trumpet --or that little shiny horn will make you look silly -----ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- and that mistress (ie your trumpet) will say --- ONE DAY I SHOWED THE PLAYER THAT I AM IN CHARGE ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    This is not uncommon, and not just amongst trumpet players. You work at something and expect the progress to be slow and steady, but the reality is that some aspects (maybe the muscle memory aspect) suddenly fall in to place and everything seems easier. I have experienced this several times during my career; that elusive "extra" note on top, that "lick" that just never quite clicked, that chord progression that just didn't feel right. Your brain and body are full of little lights, and it's really something when one suddenly clicks on.

Congratulations, now keep going.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, and on that OFF day or two, when sometimes things - Click Off -- try not to get frustrated or discouraged --- that is all --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Congrats ! Now find something that you have always wanted to play...that sounds good to you...and make it yours.

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes, I've had instances of things "clicking". I feel it makes sense, because if you're doing something wrong, it will be hard (unless its just requiring some muscle building). I always know when I'm doing something wrong now when things seem difficult! Then I just go back and figure out what I wasn't concentrating on.

8. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    One day you can just play the horn...

I sure hope so! ROFL

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is normally a dangerous sign. It really means that you are not listening closely enough. The disease is called "adequatitus" and shows that you need to focus more.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT, what's a clam? :dontknow:

And now your trumpet is speaking to you, AND you're making love to it!? Man either you need a woman bad or I have to find you a good psychiatrist.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011