One day your good next you suck

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel025, Nov 8, 2009.

1. daniel025

daniel025 New Friend

Aug 20, 2009
    One day your good at trumpet next day/week you suck

Any one ever have one of those days or weeks when your really good at trumpet ? tone wise, range wise and technical ability wise. then like the next week you try to play something you have played before and really suck at it?
    like your tone and rage disappear ?

well that's happen to me :(

any idea why this is happening to me ?

Ive been playing for 5 years, and get help from a professional trumpet player/music teacher. and read out of Arbans weekly.

recently my teacher told me to work on arpeggios to help improve my upper register. i needed to be able to hit the high E above the staff. I'm only in my second year in high school, and my range typically ends at high B flat. sometimes i can get a high C on goods days. but i haven't been having those lately, i play lead trumpet in my senior jazz band and first trumpet in senior concert band. and i practice every day.

so any idea whats wrong? am i practicing too much ?
    or not enough? i usually go for about an hour a day.

please help :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    My teacher once told me it has something to do with you mood, and its all in your brain or something like that. I find that I play better the later it is in the day, mornings I have trouble even making a sound and at night I can wail up there for as long as I want.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Sounds like you have not really established the 'norms' in your playing. Sounds like you are playing on luck, and calling the days you get lucky your good days.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Re: One day your good at trumpet next day/week you suck

The more you practice/play the more "good" days you'll have. If you'ree in school and want to really improve your playing, then tak advantage of the one thing that you'll start losing as you get older...time. Right now I'd imagine that you could easily find at least 2 or 3 hours each day to play. Maybe an hour in the morning, an hour in the afternoon, and an hour after homework.

However you break it up, regular sensible practice time will make your "good" days the norm.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This sort of thing happens in every activity in life - whether physical or mental. Some days at work, things click and other days, nothing goes right. Look at sports teams. Some days it all comes together, the next day it all falls apart. In school, one day you get it all, the next day you forget it all.

So, as the others have already said, the key is to practice and keep going to increase the number of days when it feels great and decrease the number of days when it all sounds like cr*p. Also, be sure to stay at it for the long haul. I can tell you that a 35 year layoff like I had will make it much more difficult to reach the point where the good days outnumber the bad ones.

Good luck.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    My trumpet professor in college, Dr. Gordon Mathie would always say if you had a horrible day playing trumpet which could not be explained, he would blame it on "the phase of the moon" or "the tides" meaning something out of your control. It happens. It's nice to have it happen less often!

7. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Hummmm? U' didn't say how old you are?????
    Seems like the oldern'n' dirt I get....the more my playing "suckuth" lately :(

70 years and beholdin' but still hopin' that practicing each day with a goal in mind may help both our trumpet playing skills and our fossilizing brain cells that science has proven that starts to decay at the moment of birth or puberty? :)

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I occasionally have bad days, but they are very rare, and only happen when i don't play for three or four days. My body is on a cycle when it comes to playing. When i was out with the flu (not swine!) I didn't play for two days, it wasn't a lot, but Saturday my body is used to playing anywhere from two to seven hours, because of marching band, then Sunday I normally play all my jazz stuff. My chops don't get beat up anymore, they are used to heavy playing, but for some reason when I came back on the Monday, and for the Tuesday after it, my throat would tighten like CRAZY the higher I went. At jazz rehearsal on Tuesday night my playing reset, but personally for me my bad days are when my playing schedule is messed with.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Re: One day your good at trumpet next day/week you suck

Some days you win, some days the trumpet wins

10. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    I'm in kind of a funk right now myself. When I'm not playing well, I still play but I rest a LOT. The past two days i'm trying for two minutes off the horn for every one minute on. It means practice takes a long time, but the alternative is reinforcing bad habits we fall into when we're tired.

As far as the root problem, two things come to mind. The first is overblowing. Were you in a situation where you had to blow your brains out in the last few days? Perhaps playing in a really loud band or even playing outside when you haven't in a while. The second possible cause that comes to mind is if you are working out a new etude or piece of music and you are neglecting rest because you want to hammer out the rhythms and the feel of the piece. That is a good way to wear yourself out too quickly and give yourself a couple of bad days.