One day your good next you suck

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel025, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    How we feel physically affects how we play, if we're tired we wont play as well as when we're fresh and feeling strong, we practice so when we do have an "off" day, the only one that knows this, is ourselves. Practicing when physically and mentally fresh will give you more good days than bad ones.

2. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Don't beat yourself up when you think you have bad days. Don't get over joyed when you think you have good days. Find the happy medium. Like previous posts said, increase your number of good days, decrease the bad. :)

3. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    THATS EXACTLY HOW I AM NOW!!!. Im a first chair junior in high school.

Band is 1st hour: 730-840. I. CANT. PLAY. PERIOD.

I call it fuzzin' out. my sound is all fuzzy and my trumpet just doesnt respond period. above E (in staff) i cant play squat. below im perfect.

Orchestra takes place of my lunch period: 1125-145. I. AM. BEASTLY!.

I can play anything i want in my original range. sound is perfect. trumpet responds magically.

Jazz band is after school: 300-430. I. AM. BEASTLY (for 30 minutes)

I am pretty beastly, but i start wearin down, about to a top o staff G.

This really pisses me off, i cant play anything in the morning. :dontknow: :-(

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Re: One day your good at trumpet next day/week you suck

We can't help. Your problem is that you have not earned your range or consistency yet. That requires an intelligent daily routine as well as additional material to get better. As we can't hear you play live, we can't even guess how long you will need.

Forget this hitting the high notes crap. If it ain't there, beating your face up will only make things worse. Do what your teacher says. he/she is the only one that really knows your playing

To be a real lead player and high note ace, 1 hour is not enough. 1 hour is what a decent player needs just to maintain.

It is a sure sign of WEAK when your playing is night and day. I would guess that there are very extreme deficiencies in any player that does not have at least a fair measure of stability. We can assume that breathing and body use are messed up and that all of the basics like long tones and slurs are regularly ignored.

If you were my student, I would cancel jazz band for the rest of the year and get you on a real routine that would get you at least to normal. Whether or not lead is even an issue after that would remain to be seen.

5. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    This happens to me once in a while. Its a little different though... I get my christian brothers over and we play 5 hours straight just for the heck of it. The next day I cant play as good as the day before. My tone is the same but the range is not. So if I ever practice to much I wait a day before playing again. Many people say every day you don't practice then you need a day to make it up. Well I find that I can miss four days and make it all up in one. I usually play every other day if I practice more than 2 hours. Usually I play 2 hours minimum but sometimes I get sucked into the music and I go playing till 11 pm. My neighbors are used to that.

Sorry I kinda got off topic. I just had a similar story.

My way of training for higher range is:

Play Scales.
    There are lots of scales but I prefer the chromatic.
    Hold each note for about 5 measures or until your breath runs out.
    Use your stomach muscles to push the air in the higher range.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It happens to everyone. The more proper practice and experience you get, the less drastic the dips are. At least that's what I've found - your playing becomes much more consistent and the bad days are not really as bad as they used to be. The really great players still have off days, but are able to play around them without most anyone noticing.

7. actionjackson06de

actionjackson06de New Friend

Nov 22, 2009
    University of North Texas
    It sounds like you don't warm up before your first period class, LSN1052. It is very common to get "air balls" early in the morning. This is because your lips become swolen from inactivity during sleep. All you have to do to fix this is get a nice, slow warmup at least 20 to 30 minutes before your morning class.

In addition, if you want, you can include a warm down each night before you go to sleep. This will help a little with the "puffy morning lips" but will not replace a good warm up beforehand. DON'T NEGLECT THE WARMUP!

8. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I agree with Jackson. You should warm up for 30 mins in the morning. Also eat a good breakfast! :thumbsup:
    Back in the days when I was in school I Had jazz in the mornins. I found out that if I didn't eat a good breakfast then I wasn't playing as good.