One Minute Trumpet Players Survey!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Keith Fiala, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Hello Guys & Gals,

I'm curious about what other trumpet players find to be their biggest challenges with playing trumpet...

What are your personal battles, and what do you hear from your peers and / or students?

Sincerely,

Keith Fiala

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    From students: getting it out of the case and onto the face!

3. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    That's GREAT brother! I love that response... HAHAHA LMAO!

4. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    I vote with VB.

5. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    Trying to practice with three curious cats. And a small dog that thinks it's a cat.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A more serious answer, that is the root of my earlier response: faith and caring; or caring and faith, however one wishes to phrase it.

The Germans have a wonderful word for the dark side of it--Teufelskreis (devil's circle), which would be called a "vicious circle" in English. It can be applied to all kinds of things, and if the spiral that it is applies to life as a whole and goes on long enough one finds themselves either homeless or dead.

Now the trumpet application.

Let's say I pull the trumpet out of the case and on to my face and I suck. Why continue? I'm getting no reward, wasting my time, so why not do something else instead of practicing? Something affirming, like playing a video game maybe. The next time I pick up the horn I suck even more, because I didn't practice--all the more reason to abandon the session and/or lesson. So on and so on.

Why then get it out of the case and on to the face? What comes out the bell reinforces my lack of faith and lack of caring.

I Googled Teufelskreis and got something like 463000 hits.

I tried to teach (with some success) the concept of the Engelkreis , or Angel's circle that is the opposite.

Let's say I pull the trumpet out of the case and I suck. I'm getting no reward, but continue because I care, and have faith that if I do continue I'll get better. The next time I pick up the horn I might not be better, but continue because I care, and have faith in the process. Then there comes that day that I am better, which affirms the effort I've put in, so I've got a reason to practice, and a feeling better than any video game can give, because it is real! And (duh!) the more I practice, the better I get! The Engelskreis.

I Googled Engelskreis, too.

I got one hit.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    For me:
    Keeping up the energy on long four hour gigs.
    For my students:
    Keeping my cool when they've obviously not practiced.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    The problem I have is, being an adult beginner. I'm 47.

I"m also living in a trailer at the back of a large (5-acre) piece of property, being allowed to say here to "get back on my feet" I'm welcome to stay here as long as I like, have been told I can do whatever I like, but at the same time I feel there's a pressure to "make something of myself" and conventionally, that means going back to college and becoming an accountant or something nice and conventional.

Instead I want to play the trumpet.

The land owner comes back in a week, I want to play something cool (for a beginner anyway) like a passable version of Ave Maria or something, and tell him what I'm up to. If he's true to what he says, it'll be OK.

I have my cost of living very LOW. I can get by on busking, eventually teaching, etc. Maybe I'll be able to play in bars, or something I dunno,

Now, say you're a kid, and you get into intermediate school, and there's Band, and you get the trombone. You take it home and you practice, you get A's and B's few C's, kinda average, you play your 'bone out in the backyard, no one really minds, you're a kid and not expected to sound good. A couple of years go by. All a sudden, although you've been plugging along, people notice you're doing solos, the HS jazz band is interested in you, and to your mom, you're "my little musical genius". This is good, this is how it generally works.

But as an adult beginner, well, you get a lot of disparaging remarks, you're expected to, if you take up something new, to be pretty good right off. You don't get the freedom to be well, a beginner for a couple of years.

So that's my problem right now, not my lip, not MP pressure since I've learned to watch that like a hawk, not playing by ear, not even reading notes because I'm making myself learn that, it's whether I'll effectively be allowed to be beginner for a while. If not, well, I doubt it will get me kicked out of here, I guess the worst would be well, the snide remarks and I guess I can just ignore those or wisecrack back. My practice doesn't interfere with farm work and vice versa, so that's good.

But I guess that's my big worry right now.

(Yeah I know I need a teacher, there's supposed to be a good one over in Hollister, if I can do well enough busking to go to the guy, I'll do it. Another possibility is Gavilan College but I dunno if they teach trumpet).

9. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Getting a clear tone and the use of less pressure.

10. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think my problem is really in part what VB had posted. A lot of the days, I really suck and I feel like I'm not going anywhere, but it's keeping it up on those moments that really make the difference.