One Minute Trumpet Players Survey!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Keith Fiala, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Keehun when I was training in a sport I got the kind of positive feedback loop VB talks about going. It was just a matter of practicing 6 days a week (you have to take one off) and having faith, practicing how do I put it, humbly, like you're learning it newly each time. You will learn something new each time, or you will find higher ability in something you're working on, it will always happen in at least some small way.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Still searching for my sound...I just can't hear it!
    Upper register always a battle, and endurance.
    Improv not that great...hmmm, gotta lot more practice! :cool:
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    VB Said:
    Let's say I pull the trumpet out of the case and I suck. I'm getting no reward, but continue because I care, and have faith that if I do continue I'll get better. The next time I pick up the horn I might not be better, but continue because I care, and have faith in the process. Then there comes that day that I am better, which affirms the effort I've put in, so I've got a reason to practice, and a feeling better than any video game can give, because it is real! And (duh!) the more I practice, the better I get! The Engelskreis.

I Googled Engelskreis, too.

I got one hit.

--

My band instructor drilled this concept into my head when I was younger...

This is the kind of thing that needs to be put into the public school curriculum. ;-)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The biggest problem is practicing what you preach.

A great amount of discipline is required to year in, year out to practice the stuff that you still can't play, always playing softly in the practice room, and keeping the amount of new mouthpieces tried down.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Most difficult aspect for me is keeping my mind focused on specific goals.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    When I did a sport at a high level, I kept no secrets. Anyone who wanted to know what I did, how I did it, etc., was free to ask, I'd hold a whole coaching session for 'em if they'd hold still and listen.

The difference was: Come match day, I'd actually do it.

Then the others well, they'd not, and I'd beat 'em again, and then they'd go off thinking I had some sort of secrets I was holding back ROFL

7. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    Biggest difficulty I run into is deciding *what* to spend my practice time on.

Warmup time...

With Arban, Clarke, Irons, Schlossberg, Stamp, Charlier, scales, intervals, etc., etc., etc... I don't have 9 hours a day to play (I wish my chops could take it, but not going to happen).
    What to focus on for fundamentals each day?

Lyrical, technical, transposition, "hard keys", on and on.

So many things you could work on every day, but not enough time to cover them all.

So, I try to rotate through things, with a few I do every day, and others I focus on in a cycle. I'd like to come up with some plan that actually makes sense for all of it, but there just aren't enough hours in the day, or time available on the face to squeeze in everything that should be worked on.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I struggle with many difficulties on the trumpet (it's tough!!!!) but the hardest thing is exactly what Vulgano Brother laid out .... Concentrated practice time when I don't feel like it, don't feel good, or tired or whatever. Faith is the key.

Recently, I spent almost a year playing once a week at an open jam session in a Cafe (guitar and singing). It was a mixed bag .... a struggle when top drawer musicians showed up and I was tired, or sometimes everything clicked and the whole night just flew. It was the CONSISTENCY of being there that made the difference. I learned more on the nights I didn't want to go or felt bad. It's valuable to learn how to play well when you don't feel like it.

Turtle

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    One of my biggest challenges simply comes in being able to fully play everything required on the gig while balancing my non-music related life with my music endeavors.

I also have to accept that with my current status of life where I don't play and gig like I used to when I was doing it full time that I will likely never reclaim abilities that I once had that have been lost.

So the challenge is to continue to whack away at it so that I'm an effective player on the gig and I play well enough to do justice to the music I'm playing.

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    My biggest challenge is a challenge vs myself.

As I progress, good days and bad days I always tend to ask myself will I ever be good enough to just wow the crowd, not so much with range however seems that the crowd is always looking for that high note and loves it, but with just my playing?

As a comeback player I refuse to take the stage again until I'm fully confident that I am ready for that adventure once again.

One Day my young Jedi's, one day !!! :play::play: