One Minute Trumpet Players Survey!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Keith Fiala, Aug 1, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    *Consistant practice technique

*Upper range

*Improv

Upper range if I had to pick just one.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. earnhart88

earnhart88 New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Near Niagara Falls NY
    Consistent practice technique,endurance ,but motivation to do any of those things.

3. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    range

not covering up the clarinets (i dont see any harm there)

and: coming back to practicing after having a summer off.

4. Catchops

Catchops New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Air stream....making sure it is constant in all ranges and all applications. I have to always think about that while it seems to be second nature to others.

5. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    After a 25 year hiatus I find that my biggest problem lies in honestly recognising that I'm on the path to something pretty cool but I'm also still some distance away. I want to be able to do what I used to do right away but I have to keep reminding myself that it was by not applying patience to the journey that my trumpet playing fell by the wayside all those years ago. I'm working without a teacher although as a pro percussionist I have access to some of the UK's finest trumpeters and I constantly bug them with questions along the lines of "why can't I...?" The answer is always patience and faith!

6. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Just letting go and playing what I hear in my head. Sometimes it's hard not to think about what I'm doing physically and that gets in the way.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Trying to play the tune, rather than just the notes.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow - what a question. at 45 yrs old comebacker-- after a 7yr leave -- I think age is a consideration.
    consistency when getting older (wow the body doesn't always work right).
    keeping perspective -- shooting for improvement every week.
    patience - knowing that even with a Double High C almost consistent -- there is sound quality, and ease of play, etc. to work on.
    Discipline -- to not try to hit the DHC in every practice -- and do the hard day -- then easy day routine -- oh! discipline.
    Wondering/ confidence -- if the 2000 + hours in the last 21 months will yield good music for enjoyment of others. ((I have only had one gig at church in the last year --- but hope to play more this year.))
    not really concerned with making money -- just good music

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Finding yourself as a player. We all possess elements of others that we try to emulate. Putting those elements together and finding your own voice is often difficult and requires boldness, conviction and tenacity.

10. matterado

matterado New Friend

Aug 31, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Finding a time and place to practice. I work an odd schedule and most of my free time is between midnight and six in the morning. I live in an apartment in a crap neighborhood and there is no time, day or night, any day of the week, the I can practice at home without getting a noise complaint. If I really want to play, I sometimes end up driving to an empty parking lot in the middle of the night. That's fine if there is something specific I want to work on, but it's hard to get up the motivation to drive out there and work on scale study and long tones.