One month so far...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alan Dismukes, Dec 17, 2007.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I am 71 years old and in my third year of being a 'comebacker'. In the last two weeks I have sounded Taps at two churches, played three solos in churches, played in a ten piece brass ensemble at a major sized, ( over 800 singers ), hymnsing, Played two concerts with a local Community Concert Band, and played in a six piece brass ensemble supporting a 32 person charale caroling in each of ten monstrous factories here locally. Oportunities to play abound if we let it be known that we are willing to serve.

OLDLOU>>

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    oh, and Alan, you shouldn't worry about wasting a teachers time... they get paid regardless! :D

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    et mike wrote:
    TM is definately not a "replacement teacher", although it is much cheaper! ;)

Cheaper if you aren't developing bad habits, more expensive if it leads you to needing more professional guidance and time to correct them. Alan, can't you hook up for just one lesson to establish a "baseline", sort of a pre-flight check?

4. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Alan,

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    ....cool, double post, can't play trumpet or work a computer:)
    Alan, I came back after a 28 year lay-off.....been back a little over a year. Surprising how much stuff still rests in your head, I'm reading music again, chops are coming in REAL good, got moderate range, still working on endurance, BUT it does work again! I'm playing in a community band (3rd trumpet thankfully) and the reason for the comeback....playing lead in a local Funk/variety band. Hang in there brother, it'll come to ya!....chuck

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In 1980 I attended Digicon in Vancouver, Canada. It was all about computers and arts; digital animation took 24 hours per frame (on a Cray)MIDI was new, Amigas were hot and there were the first programs to print music (on dot-matrix computers, naturally).

One interesting presentation was on using the computer to accelerate the artist's learning curve. I don't know if TM was envisioned then, but that is what forums like TM have to offer--not as a substitute for, but an adjunct to. It adds a further dimension to immerse ourselves into.

As an added bonus, we can even add cool avatars!