one mouthpiece-many backbores

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jan 16, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I can't recall the maker of a mouthpiece system where you can interchange the components of one mouthpiece. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and who the maker is? Does anyone know about the pluses and minuses of such a mouthpiece?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Crow, many mouthpiece manufacturers will do this for you: Bach, Schilke, Stork, Giardinelli, Warburton, Reeves, Kanstul, Curry, bunches of them.

All the Best,

Richard Oliver

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The biggest name in two-piece mouthpieces (separate cups and backbores) is Warburton. Kanstul makes two-piece mouthpieces too, and their tops and bottoms are interchangeable with Warburton. Not to say that most of the other mentioned manufacturers don't offer something similar...

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks guys, but I was hoping for some pros and cons about the two-piece system also.

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Pros: You can switch around mouthpieces and make all kinds of differant combinations depending on what you want to use for differat kinds of playing.

Cons: It will temp you to want to switch around mouthpieces and make all kinds of differant cominations depending on what you want to use for differant kinds of playing.

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Con: expense and thinking salvation can be found in the mouthpiece drawer.

Pro: expense and thinking salvation can be found in the mouthpiece drawer.

Regards,

Richard

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Pro... it can really help you "dial in" to the perfect piece (and then you sell all the bits off on Ebay and buy "the perfect piece").

Con... When you trade your horn in for a different one you get to start allllll over again! (impedance and end-gap yano).

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You might be thinking of the Stomvi mouthpiece that have a seperate rim, cup and shank. You can buy a set with a rim or two, several cups of various depth and trumpet and cornet shank.

Pro: If you happen to like the same rim on the big trumpet and piccolo trumpet, it's easy to do.

Con: It's a hassle two change them in and out, they might get stuck, and if they do get stuck, it'll be on a gig when you have to change often from Bb to piccolo!

Con II: It's expensive.

Pro II: If you've played on the same sizes for years, don't want to change, and simply want a new version of the same thing with some flexibility, thats what it'll provide.

Pro III: If you drop you mouthpiece and nick up the rim, you only have to replace the rim, not the whole thing.

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I'll have to visit these burden's of Warburton, i'm in the same state.......thanks for the encouragement fellas......

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I have found that I have settled on the Warburtons for most of my playing (on most instruments). I have got 2 of each top, so that if I am swapping between instruments I don't need to undo the tops and swap them over when changing instrument. With some brass ensemble repertoire requiring instrument changes within a bar or two, having to rebuild mouthpieces at the same time is just impractical.