one piece bells or 2

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Clarence, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    shout out to all,
    thought i,d throw thisout there what are your thoughts,
    imy self love a one piece.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'd like someone to really tell me the difference.
    I always thought (for no reason) that one piece bells were better.
    Now I understand that Monette trumpets are 2 piece and my new Lawler C7 also has a 2 piece bell. I can't tell the difference.

-cw-

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I used to always thinks 1 piece was better too, but I now think that's all fluff. My Getzen is a two piece Gold-brass bell and I think it is far and away superior to the one-piece bells they make in their other lines.

Surely there's someone here well versed in metallurgy and physics who can tell us the clear facts. As far as I can see, there's no real difference at all.

I mean ... I guess when you think about it, most of the rest of the horn isn't really "one piece" construction, either. If the rest of the tubing is unaffected by the fuzing of two different pieces of metal, then why should the bell be?

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Perhaps the 1 piece bell is more resonant, maybe? I really don't know, but I'm like schilke b6 I've always like the 1 piece just because, well, I can... I have no reasoning...

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    When Besson were designing the Prestige cornet they made two prototypes, one with a 1-piece bell, the other with a 2-piece.
    The guys they got in to test the instruments were the finest cornet players in the UK and the results were not what Besson expected - the vast majority preferred the 2-piece. This is what Besson put on the Prestige when they started making it.

Before the trials were done, most of the players said that they would prefer a 1-piece bell - they had all heard that the resonance was greater, sound was improved, better response etc.
    They were all very surprised at the results.

Conclusion?
    I class 1-piece/2-piece discussions the same way I class discussions about bore size - not as important as people try to make out.

6. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    My Eclipse Special Edition has a two piece bell and it plays like a taste of honey. :cool:

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think that Bach made a big deal about making one piece bells. His trumpets played so well that one piece bells were associated with the playing qualities of his trumpets. The idea that it is harder to make a one piece bell and Bach has one made it a selling point.

Lesser quality trumpets used two piece bells because it is easier to make but it is harder to make them work well.

The idea of a two piece bell in today's trumpet is that you want the brass relaxed. If you stretch it (one piece) it is stressed. Maybe a little stress is not as bad as two different pieces of brass?

People who make these new exceptional trumpets seem to have solved the problem of the two pieces of brass so I would say that at this point in trumpet making it probably doesn't matter all that much.

Personally I go with the relaxed idea so I guess I am a two piece guy.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    One piece bells are believed to be more free-blowing, since the bell doesn't have that groove or slight bump where the two bell pieces are soldered together.

The Eclipses I played yesterday were two piece. Great horns, the MR especially. :D

Van