One shortcoming of Musical Notation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jan 10, 2015.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I say you hit the nail on the head right there, Reedman1. Or, I sayyou hi tthen ail on thehe ad.

2. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    That's a graphical representation, not a logical one. The reason we have a logical structure is so we don't have trouble parsing it. Who is having trouble reading music? BTW, fi ew implys waps het irstf etterl ithw het astl etterl, ouy anc eadr ti.

We're supposed to be musicians, people.

3. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Well... I think we should probably be wrapping this thread up, but: Ivan's point, as I understand it, is that graphical representations can have an influence on the way we perceive, interpret and express music, among other things. And I believe that his intention in pointing this out is to invite us to try to become aware of our sensitivity to such things, so that we may grow as musicians (and probably as people in general). I find the idea - and the experience - eye-opening. Or ear-opening? No, wait... Well, it opens something. And it is very real.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I feel like I've just stumbled out of a dark room, wandered around only to find myself back in the same dark room again.

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I was referring to application design trade-offs between functionality and ease-of-use. Consider Microsoft Word vs Notepad. One is low function, very easy to use, the other high function, much more complex to learn how to use.