One thing I've noticed about this forum

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Lazorphaze, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    Is that it's a lot slower than other ones.
    I dunno, maybe people have less to talk about here.

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Now that www.trumpetherald.com has upgraded their site, whenever you get online, go there and click on "View Posts Since Last Visit", then do it here and compare the results.

If you want to talk about trumpets other than Zeus, this doesn't seem the place to go.

Dave

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Quantity does not reflect quality.

On the TH they talk about the same stuff over and over. Sometimes interesting threads come up -- but many are [​IMG]

So are some on this board, or any board for that matter can be [​IMG]

But quantity does not make a board better. In fact, I tend to stay away from boards that have tons of traffic. You can log on an hour later and find you have missed 20 posts. I don't have enough time in my life to wade through tons of posts. I read every thread here. I only peek at horns, cornets/flugels, and mouthpieces on the TH.

Too many posts just to be posting can be a bad thing too.

Geez, Dave, we haven't had a good fight about ZeuS on this board in months. If that is all it is good for, well, why hang around? I personally think that some very important things get said here. And a quality base is something to build upon.

Jim

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I miss the Calicchio forum. Maybe it was a big mistake to change the format of the forums. I thought the dedicated forums stifled meaningful discussion, but AT LEAST there was discussion. This place seems to be dieing a slow death.

BTW, there are several forums over on TH that have fantastic discussions, with lots of useful information, IMHO. I don't know why anyone that comes here wouldn't also go there.

Dave

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I agree. I check back every now and again but not much going on.

6. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    When the site was first up, and people would come to the site and see focused horn threads MODERATED by the owner/manufacturer it gave immediate credibility to the forum. People would come back to see what Flip had said or if Leigh had some new offering. That doesn't happen now. I'm not even sure if the owners come here anymore?!

I think that a great forum was cut back to be a good forum and unless something happens, it will only be another trumpet forum.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Leigh is not this forum, neither is Flip, or Jack, or Alex. WE, all of us, are this forum. Sure it is nice to have Flip and Leigh post (they still do). But Jack is a retailer, and in reality Flip and even Alex sell special versions of a Kanstul horn. I don't know about the Calicchio board.

But in reality, we have few manufacturers posting.

We are this board. If it is dull, or uninteresting, or slow or whatever you want to call it, is is OUR fault, not someone else's. I don't think the number of posts has slowed down since the dedicated boards merged. I still remember making a comment about a Bach trumpet (I neither own a Bach nor know much about them) on the Bach board and wow, it was the last post for almost two weeks.

We seemed to get peeved at ZeuS and love Eclipse. To start a fight, go to the cage and state that ZeuS is much better than Eclipse. That would do it.

Post something worthwhile. Better yet, respond intelligently to the posts being made.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I would humbly suggest that more of the real pro players here on the board take a more active role in sharing their experiences and knowledge with the rest of us. Given the experiences of some of the people that have posted on here before, the last thing we should be talking about on here are horns.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I will help things along:

I have three Monette trumpets and one on order.
    The money is nothing compared to how much they help me play. Yes the trumpet does help me play.

I could not play this way on my Bach. Well my Bach could have been a dog but have you ever heard of a Monette dog?

That should get things going.

Oh, I almost forgot, "Zeus!"

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    For me I had enough of the trolls hijacking worthwhile discussions. Someone
    would raise a question about a Zeus and if you tried to answer it some jerk
    (who never even touched a Zeus) would start a tirade. I got sick of it and think that the 'Cage' helps cut down on it.

Greg