One Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Nov 11, 2008.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    I have recently picked up my trumpet after years of inactivity. I want to purchase one trumpet to last me for the indefinate future. I play in a community orchestra and hope to join a local jazz band. If you could select one trumpet to have for multipurpose use, what would it be? I would be willing to spend in the $2000-3000 range if necessary, but would love to hear any recommendations below or above this price point. Thanks.

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Wow...you just opened quite the forum.:)
    In that price range, you can get just about anything. You can also get quite a few horns used and new for well under that range as well. I'm sure that this thread will have quite a few suggestions, so I will simply tell you to try as many horns as you can. Play your colleagues horns, go to a shop and play some, and just find one that you like. And remember, there's nothing wrong with having 2(or 3 or 7 or 20):-)

Good Luck

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    There is NO answer to this question....

Do what Brass crusader suggests.

There is NO best horn

There is NO best player

There is NO best mute

And on and on....try everything you can, listen to everyone you can, and go with what your ears prefer.

-cw-

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You'll probably get as many different recommendations as you do posts to your thread. If I could have one trumpet only, it would be my Bach Strad, ML 43 bell/25 leadpipe. Very versitile horn - I've used mine in a symphony orchestra, church, concert band, pit orchestras, brass quintet, and big bands to name a few. Try out as many horns as possible before you make a decision. Remember, the mouthpiece you use can really affect the way a particular trumpet plays.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Like you, I was away from the trumpet for 45 years. I play in two community concert bands. I am principal trumpet in one, and utility in the other. I have little interest in playing jazz or swing, but have done so for a period soon after getting my chops back into shape. I, also, have no interest in taking the tremendous financial loss that immediately happens after buying a new high grade trumpet. I prefer to let someone else take that loss and I buy exceptional used horns. I use an elderly Los Angeles made Olds Studio Model, a King Liberty, and a recently acquired Conn 2B New World Symphony, which has become my primary tool. As a word of caution, always play before you pay, and try a lot of horns. What one musician claims to be fantastic just might be that, 'for him'. It might not please you at all. I also use, quite a bit, a Reynolds Medalist made at the Olds plant. I can find absolutely nothing wrong, for me, with this $30.00 horn. The cosmetics, missing lacquer, and corroded brass, but, no dents or solder smears, make this an ugly duckling, but to listen to it or for me to play it puts it right into the company of the great ones. Look arround and play a bunch of new and gently used trumpets before you reach into your pocket.

OLDLOU>>

6. nickenator

Oct 19, 2008
    This is exactly what I want. I don't know the brands, so when I go into a music store I am completely lost. Keep the recommendations and discussion going. Thanks very much.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, coming from that point of view, if you're buying new, I'd recommend a professional-level trumpet from Bach, Getzen, Kanstul, Schilke, or Yamaha. Those are the better ones you're more likely to find in music stores and will be able to try out. If you're looking for vintage horns, there are many more choices.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  8. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    If you ask for the discussion to keep going, you will keep gettin g other folks' opinions that may not be a good fit for you. To a lesser degree, it's kinda like asking someone , "What's a good car?"

That said, If you want a vintage horn, peruse the Vintage Horn forum here on TM. I love the older Conns, especially the 22B. There is always a 1950s Martin Committee. If you want new, Dale gave you a great list of brands. Others will crop up like Calicchio, Austin Winds and New York Trumpet Co.

9. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I think that the responses to this thread have been great. They all reinforce the idea of playing many horns, and finding out what you like. We can make suggestions as to makes or types et cetera, but the real test is what your ear prefers.

Good luck, and have lots of fun playing lots of horns!

10. nickenator

Oct 19, 2008
    Thanks for all the responses. How do I know the trumpet is "professional?" I have a few music stores near me that sell both used and new trumpets, many of which appear to be for grade school students. There is no dedicated brass store near where I live. Sorry for all the ignorant questions.