One Tune, One Cd , you can hear over and over again.

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Larry Gianni, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

All of us have those selections that are on a CD that when they're finished something makes you reach over , hit the button and play it again. It has a certain something about it that makes you want to hear again time and for some reason, you never get tired of it.

It's not the hippest or the best played or the most intricate but it has that certain something or quality that makes you " jones " for it right after you just listened to it.

What do you think, you must have a couple of those kinds? right

Thinking about the topic, lets make it a little easier to make the selections. How about a small group tune, solo artist selection and a Big Band number..

Here's mine ( until I see one of yours and think " yeah, he's right )

Solo - Al Hirt - Honey in the Horn CD - " I can't get started "

Small group - Louis Armstrong - The Best of Louis " - " Cabaret "

Big Band - Thad Jones / Mel Lewis " - Village Vanguard live sessions - " Groove Merchant " Snooky Young - ld trpt.

Larry

This is one topic that's there is no right or wrong answer so there should be no reason not to let the rest of us enjoy someone's else's thoughts on it and maybe learn something.

2. Rob Jokinen

Rob Jokinen New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    Beaverton, OR
    These three, I ALWAYS hit repeat!!

OK, I got two from big band, so I broke the rule, but I can't help it.

Count Basie Band - title track off of Fancy Pants, that trumpet solo is tasteeee!!!

Wayne Bergeron - "Friend Like Me" from You Call This a Living? cd.

Woody Shaw - Dat Dere from Imagination CD. I love those bent weird notes in his solo. really bluesy feel.

- Rob

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    My favorite Big Band Trumpet album ... Doc Severinsen - Big Bands Back In Town.

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I agree, MPM. Those old Doc LP's......... :-)

My favorite is Doc's Recording of "A Song For You" on his Rhapsody for Now Album. He works his way up, higher and higher, until he hits and holds an Eb above Dubba C. I first heard that when I bought the album back in 1973.

To this day, it gives me goosebumps.

mike

5. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

6. jsou

jsou New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Boston
    Any of the tunes on Chet's "She Was Too Good to Me" album.

7. FrankASmith

FrankASmith New Friend

Nov 5, 2003
    Indiana
    Makes you hit "Repeat"

Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band-Swingin for the Fences-Count Bubba
    Maynard Ferguson-MF Horn 4&5-Live at Jimmy's-I'm Getting Sentimental over You
    Count Basie Band-Atomic Basie (Play the full CD, then hit repeat)
    Tower of Power-Live-Soul Vaccination
    Do I have to stop? :lol:

8. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Fella's

The purpose of this question was to open up to each other’s world to tunes/songs/arrangements that maybe someone else hadn't heard or didn't know about. The more specific the responce the better.

So lets follow the rules and here's why,

I really believe this forum is the “cream of the crop “as trumpet forums go. The forum is made up of people with a common interest (trumpet playing) but with diverse and varying experiences, age, years playing, etc.A topic like this it’s a way to help, for example, somebody young to maybe see what an " old timers " hears and for an " old timer " to educate himself on what's new and exciting out in the world today that a young player would know.

Sorry to be so " sneaky " about my motives , but the comeback player can learn from the college student that can learn from the pro player that can learn from the 3rd trumpet player in the high school orchestra with a topic like this one –

Like I said, there is no wrong answer. Just an education for the other me bers.

I’m going out to Tower Records tonight to get the one’s that were mentioned that I don’t have (or loaned out and never got back)

Plus, you’d be amazed how the players on some of the tunes you mentioned “lit up “when I sent over to them what was mentioned.
    They all called back and thanked me for letting them know that somebody out there really, really like what they did.
    Every loves to be “Pat on the Back “even the guys , especially the guys, with the names on the CD covers or buried in the credits.

Larry

Come on MPM and Mikey help me out here. Who's this Doc guy?

9. tiny tim

tiny tim New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    Oxford & Lausanne, Switz
    We Live Here- "To The End of the World" - Pat Metheny Group

Synth Guitar solo by Pat that approaches screech trumpet qualities. Love those voicings too. Lyle Mays phenomenal. Definite spine/mind tingler to the end of the world.........

10. Rob Jokinen

Rob Jokinen New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    Beaverton, OR
    I don't know the difference between the 'small group' vs 'solo' category but I have a CD from a local guy here in Oregon who used to play down in CA name of Steve Cannon. Its a small group/solo CD called "No Where Man" and Steve is really melodic player, and his solos are great. You can pick up that CD by going here http://stevecannon.net/indexframes.html. This CD has got some smooth jazz type backgrounds (only better) with hard bop type solos.. its very cool.

I really dig all the albums on the Pablo label that Count Basie did recorded in the '70's and '80s.
    Those albums are "Fancy Pants"- mentioned above, "Warm Breeze", "I Told You So"... more.
    The section players for trumpet are really unsung heros here. None of the solos are mentioned who did them. I'm guessing Sonny Cohn played the Fancy Pants solo. I think its common for those Sammy Nestico charts to get played in high school and college big bands. I recommend any school band member get those albums and listen to the swing of those great Nestico arrangements.

To echo Larry's comments about learning more, I'm a huge fan of jazz trumpet, instrumental jazz and would love to see more details on the who/when/why.
    I have on my list of CDs many to buy, all of which I learned about from the trumpet forums/internet discussions... Pat Harbison, Carl Saunders, Chuck Findley. These CD's don't really get much promotion, so lets hear it!!

later,
    Rob