One year trumpet study

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GijsVis, Jun 10, 2013.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey all,

A friend of mine is now in the second to last year of the Dutch high school and is therefore done with the summer of 2014, which is when he is almost 18 years old. He asked me if I knew anything that he could study the trumpet, in like a course of a year or something else, but it can't be longer than a year. He loves playing trumpet and wants to do something with his horns part time later on, but part time, he also wants to study something else, back in the Netherlands. He wants to take a gap year after high school and in that gap year he wants to study the trumpet.

I've been thinking and I couldn't really figure anything out here in the Netherlands which would take a or less than a year, I could only come up with multiple year conservatories and therefore I was wondering, does anybody know of a trumpet study that will be a year or less? He doesn't mind if it's abroad, since he is in bilangual (Dutch and English) education right now, so he speaks English fluently (better than I do). Any Dutch, English (and German) education would therefore do.

I'ld gladly hear some suggestions, since this is a real mindcracker for me :shock:

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I don't know of any one-year studies, but one year of lessons should be no problem. If your friend wants to work on music, Werner Heckmann in Germany is awesome; for chops, Uwe Komischke. It is relatively easy to get gigs in Germany on the side, and a chance to play lots of Bach. Tuition through a Hochschule is inexpensive, and the cost of living in Germany might even be less than in Holland.

Had a German friend that studied in Grenoble for a year to improve his trumpet playing and French. He blew his chops out, and the French don't have near the number of pick-up orchestras as in Germany.

Wish your friend luck, and invite him to join TM!

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    He really wants to have a year that makes sense, if you know what I mean, he really wants to get better. With Werner Heckmann and Uwe Komischke, are they like private teachers and will they teach like once a week? Can you learn music at a Hochschule?
    But like I said, he would really want to be busy with music full time, like as in a school and gigs would be bonus, but he really wants it to be more of a learning period, as far as I get his point. I'll tell him about your suggestion, but if you can make it a little more clear it would be great.

By the way, are you anywhere in southeast Germany? With all the floodings?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I used to live near Stuttgart, and got to gig with Werner Heckmann a few times, but am now back in America. In Germany, Musik is one of the voluntary subjects to be examined on for Abitur, when completing Gymnasium. Depending on the grade, one can apply for Musikhochschule or a P├Ądagogische Hochschule to continue studies. A good friend, Hubertus von Stackelberg, teaches at the Evangelische Hochschule in Ludwigsburg, near Stuttgart. Here is contact info for Professor von Stackelberg, tell him Jerry says "Hi."

Evangelische Hochschule Ludwigsburg: Lehrende