online lessons as primary instruction- regular reoccurring

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeatherLips, Apr 9, 2012.

1. LeatherLips

LeatherLips New Friend

Dec 22, 2008
    I was wondering if anyone is taking online lessons as their main source of instruction as opposed to taking an occasional lesson with some big name teacher (for a specific purpose like range).
    Is it a weekly arrangement? what costs are involved? How does it compare to face to face (if you've taken face to face previously)?

I can see benefits for schedule if like me, the student travels for business. You could do your lesson while on the road and not have to miss one. Are there some issues with this type of instruction that could be a problem?
    I also wonder if there may be some teachers that do well with this medium while others may not (even if they are good private teachers when face to face). That would make finding the right teacher more difficult I would think.

Comments/Experiences appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I have several students that take on line lessons once a week to great success. There are some kinks to be worked out with the hardware. For lessons to have any real value they need to be at least once every two weeks for advanced players and once a week for players who are beginners and intermediate players.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I've taken a few online lessons. I found them to be helpful, especially to get a lesson from someone who provides something you can't find locally.

With a webcam, your teacher will have limited ways to gather data and assess you (posture, breathing, embouchure, affect, etc.). I think it's also harder to develop a close relationship with an online teacher. This doesn't mean it can't be done. And I'm sure people like Bob, who've done it a lot, have ways to mitigate the technology limitations.

If you're interested in it. Give it a try for a few lessons and see how it works.

Mike

4. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    I think it's worth a shot, especially in my area where there aren't a lot of "specific" instrument teachers. What I see a lot of around here are those that teach piano/guitar/flute/"whatever you play" teachers. Plus, there are a lot of college musicians that can leave me in a pool of spittle and burnt valve oil so they're not really interested in "Intermediate" players like me. I'm going to contact Bob Grier (on TM) about this when I feel a little more comfortable with my playing ability. I'm a comeback player and have been for about a year, but I don't feel I'm quite "there" yet to be warranting lessons. I have some things to work on for myself, first.