Online radio stations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blutch, Feb 5, 2005.

1. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I am doing research for a future ITG Web Site Reviews column. I am looking for radio stations who stream their signal to the internet and that regularly broadcast music of interest to trumpet players.

In particular, I am looking for the web sites of those stations who broadcast live concerts of major orchestras. For instance WFMT in Chicago who broadcast Chicago Symphony, LA Phil and other concerts does stream its signal online, but they charge $100/year for the service. I'm wondering if that is typical for all the major orchestras and their affiliate radio stations. What about the 2nd tier orchestras like St. Louis, Minnesota, Atlanta, San Fransisco, etc?

I am hoping that many of you listen to the orchestras in your area on the
    radio and can enlighten me.

Also, if you know of any excellent jazz stations online please let me know.

Thanks!

MA

2. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    Minnesota orchestra and St. Paul Chamber Orchestra concerts are on 99.5
    it is a public radio station (MPR)

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    what i would like to know is if you is it possible to record those?

the public radio here broadcast all of the Atlanta concerts on line, i would LOVE to find a way to get them on my hard drive.

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have found that many of these radio stations have a copy protection. I use AudioHijack Pro for most of that stuff. But, a lot of the stations will insert little "blips" at random to effectively destroy the recording.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think you will find www.jazzplayerradio.com to be a knock-your-socks-off radio station. It plays mostly trumpet jazz but this is ok, isn' it?

Enjoy.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Aside from the various BBC radio channels where it is broadcast live (and available as re-run for a week) (BBC.CO.UK), the oldest public radio station in Canada, CKUA.ORG , provides some really fantastic stuff 24/7.

http://www.ckua.org and http://bbc.co.uk . Link through to the live or rerun in both cases.

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
  10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    If you've got a solid internet connection and the right equipment, you can do the following:

Put a cable into the line-out jack of your sound card (or where you would plug headphones in), and connect that to a CD recorder / minidisc / etc. You can then burn a CD and import the files as MP3s. As yet I haven't found a way to convert the streams into mp3s directly, but using this method I've recorded some great concerts (quite a few Proms concerts, plus a couple of live LSO / NY Phil broadcasts)

Hope that helps.