online trumpet lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by britrpt57, Oct 3, 2008.

1. britrpt57

britrpt57 New Friend

Sep 17, 2008
    Hi everyone! Here's a question in two parts.

1--Has anyone taken a trumpet lesson online and was it helpful to you?

2---Has anyone GIVEN a trumpet lesson online and did you feel as though you helped the student? What are some inexpensive ways of advertising? Did you use Paypal or just let the student send you a check?

Thanks in advance to everyone----Brian O'Flaherty

2. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can't say I have any experience with online lessons but I know an amazing player named Adam Rapa offers online lessons. www.adamrapa.com I wouldn't mind trying that sometime.

3. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    Yer but online lessons aren't the same as 1 on 1. I mean if you had a webcam, it would lag a bit.

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    That is a valid point Mason, nothing can replace 1 on 1 instruction. But for those with limited options online lessons are an excellent resource. I have done the I-brass with Adam Rapa... it is an amazing session and I highly recommend you give it a shot. I am hoping to be able to fit in a second lesson in the future.

5. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    but i already have a teacher

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

As you have a teacher, the online stuff would be helpful as would be DVD instruction. But, you should review the materials with your teacher so you are both on the same page.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    Please call me Mason lol

If your watching a DVD, what happens if you have a question? The dvd wont answer it. Thats why DVD is not something a really new beginner would even bother to get. It like learning maths from a DVD, everyone has a question during maths, but the DVD wont answer it. Correct?

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Or it just might...you never know till you see it.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This question comes up quite a bit.
    I think that online lessons without really knowing the player are iffy.
    There is simply no substitute for a lesson and although many can find reasons why a real teacher is not realistic, their playing qualities prove the point.

Get REAL lessons, once you are on your way, additional material from the internet MAY help - but only after proper basic skills are achieved!!!

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Mason (lol),

With DVD, you see the technique and hear the music. Usually the DVD is indexed for lessons. You complete one...then progress in the lessons. Seems to me that if you are doing something wrong, you would soon know it?

Now, there may be some that play "off key" and don't know it....so the DVD wouldn't make any difference. We've all heard people who "play out of tune" and they are impervious to the sound and seemed to care less.

I've met good teachers in my day, but there may be teachers that might not be as good as the person teaching/demonstrating lessons via DVD and only you would know that. Perhaps, that is the reason that I suggested you review the DVD with your teacher.

Mason, I met a person once who constantly sang "off key" and I said to her: "I noticed your voice and would like to make a helpful comment about it."

She replied, "Oh, you don't need to, my voice is a gift from God!" I guess there is nothing like the "gift of off key" singing. I walked away shaking my head and left her sharing her gift. It was clear that she wasn't aware there was a problem with her singing every song "off key." :dontknow:

Best wishes,

Lloyd