Online trumpet lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Hey people

I have just found out about online trumpet lessons :dontknow:. I do have a trumpet teacher, but he can only so (really really well to) but i wanted to talk to someone who knew about high notes, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with online trumpet lessons. i was thinking of having one with Keith Fiala, a former Maynard lead player.

Thanks for any help.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Couple posters here teach online so maybe they will chime in. I do think you "need" Skype and a good webcam or it can be frustrating the both of you.

3. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Is the cam on the MacBook pro good enough?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not a Mac guy so I don't know. I would think so since Mac leans more "artistic" than the "others".

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a regular teacher. But I've taken a few online lessons using Skype.

On the down side, it's not the ideal way to learn. The technology is limited. It's easy to distort your sound using a microphone that was never meant to record a trumpet. There is no face-to-face contact, and limited ability to assess body language, breathing, or other visual information.

But on the plus side, it frees you from geographic limitations, and allows you to learn from anyone. For me, I found it a useful way gain insight from someone who's expertise was not locally available.

Mike

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Keith Fiala is a good teacher, with a lot of patience. I studied with him via Skype. Another person that I would HIGHLY recommend is Dan Foster. Dan finished his Master's last spring at the UNT Music School. He also played lead in the 2 O'Clock Lab Band, then went on to play lead in the 1 O'Clock. Dan Foster is one of the best trumpet players I have ever worked with and/or listened to. And, he enjoys teaching! Check Dan out on YouTube...type in
    Lab 2011 HD Video Montage by the One O'clock Lab Band. He gets a solo at 6:40, but his talent as a lead player is showcased throughout the video. Dan does online lessons - danfostermusic.com

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. jeff_purtle

jeff_purtle Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    The MBP is definitely up to it. All the Apple gear works the best.
    I also have several online students from down under.

I have been teaching online probably longer than anyone else. My niche is the Claude Gordon way of doing things, which definitely helps high notes and all trumpet playing skills. Here are some links to look at. There are a couple videos of some of my online students on the site too.

https://www.purtle.com
    https://www.purtle.com/testimonials
    https://www.purtle.com/jeff-articles

Jeff

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Any web cam is usually very workable. What makes a difference is a stand alone mic. The built in mics don't like the trumpet. You also need a land line hook up. Wireless hook ups don't work well. The mic I use is a logitech USB ready stand alone. It's one their web site for $30.00 which is extremely inexpensive for a mic that sounds good with the trumpet. Also you have to make adjustments to the recording input levels as the trumpet has a very strong sound. It can easily overdrive/overload a mic causing distortion/edginess

I my Skype lessons I don't teach a method. I teach the student as I see each one as an individual with different learning needs.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012