Only 10 mins to practice! What do you do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by redintheface, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Brassman64

Brassman64 Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    10 min is not much time . I think the warm up routine would be my choice too.

2. Buddy Cooke

Buddy Cooke New Friend

Jun 26, 2017
    East Fishkill, NY
    Can you share it please?

redintheface likes this.
  3. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I don't buy it.
    I realize that different people have different priorities and responsibilities, but....really?? TEN MINUTES??

When I have a student tell me he "didn't have time to practice", I tell him if he wants to improve he needs to MAKE TIME. It's a matter of priorities and sacrifice.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Brad. I may have misunderstood the OP. But I think he stated that on one particular day, he ended up only having 10 minutes to practice. And he was wondering what others might do in that situation. I don't think he said he only practiced 10 minutes a day.

Mike

redintheface likes this.
  5. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Just to clarify, this was a one-off situation. It was a choice of leaving the trumpet in the case, or being diligent and at least getting the horn to my face. I chose to be diligent, and suddenly wondered if anyone else had encountered a similar situation of being pressed for time, but wanting to at least play *something*.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Something is not my best choice for a 10 minute run... but it could be a fun thing if it is your favourite tune.

J. Jericho and redintheface like this.
  7. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    A-HA, different situation entirely. I misunderstood, mea culpa!

That being said, and that being the situation, IMO while it's probably a good idea to do ten minutes versus zip, I don't really think it's going to make much difference. Just my opinion, YMMV of course!

redintheface likes this.
  8. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I did misunderstand, and I replied to the OP's quote also. Totally different from what I thought he originally meant, I probably didn't read it carefully enough.
    My excuse is that I was probably delirious from a few hours of yard work in the Texas sun today (99 degrees)!

redintheface and TrumpetMD like this.
  9. Evie

Evie New Friend

Jul 26, 2017
    Bologna, Italy
    I saw an Interesting TED Talk recently about effective practice habits. Most of it may be elementary or not terribly relevant, but at 3.45, they describe a scientific finding showing that just imagining a physical motion can be almost as effective as actually performing it. So maybe you could go over tough fingering passages just in your head, or something similar, when you want to work on something but don't want to get your horn out.

10. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Sometimes you just do not have more than a few minutes. Sh1t happens.

I was once asked to play a new melody I had never played before, I was given 2 minutes to learn it and then be ready for a performance. I refused of course and then a little 8 year old girl looked at me with those big innocent eyes and said PLEASE.

What can you do if your a pushover softie like me, I said ok. I practiced just exactly what was necessary to get me through it. 1 and a half minutes later I performed it and got an ovation and the thanks of that child which was worth everything.

What do you do when you only have 10 minutes. Whatever is necessary, period.

Evie, J. Jericho, GeorgeB and 2 others like this.