Only existing Holton Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 12, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
  2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    The T303 was a low-production Courtois; it is actually engraved Continental, the model name of the T303...
    [cursive C looks like a print lowercase e and cursive n looks like print m, plus it's poorly-engraved compared to the rest of the logo]

3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    The T-303 was built by Courtois for Leblanc, but then stenciled for Holton. Notice that it carries a Leblanc serial number. The gold accents are done in a manner more consistent with the year 2000, and the engraving, more consistent with the style of 1920 - though not quite Holton of 1920. The gold, I suspect, may also be helping conceal replacement non-Courtois parts. This horn has been worked over end to end and is drastically altered from original, so yes, one of a kind - but in a way to make it worth more, or less? It depends on your view of it as a contemporary work of art I suppose, because as a horn, it's a modified, once very nice but now questionable playing , T-303. (That much engraving will affect the bell temper and you have to wonder how much body work was done - No Returns is probably a clue)

4. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Im going to take back the insinuation of incorrect parts. On close inspection of the pics, all seem kosher. It's the early form of the horn (circa 1967) and I'm more familiar with the 1968-70

5. jdltrumpet

jdltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2016
    Beautiful horn!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've always wondered how much engraving may be too much. I know players that have loved the beauty of these engraved masterpieces from an artist's perspective. But most, if not all, noted some issues with intonation with these type horns. How much is too much?? :-?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, the engraving is not such a big deal. What the audience gets is based on the internal bell shape. What the player gets for feedback has a lot to do with the thickness/temper/bracing of the bell. All of those factors can compensate for the others. I had a Bach 72* lightweight that had the bell brace pretty far up front.. My feedback was like with a more or less standard weight 37.

On this horn the front brace is pretty far forward. I would not take any bets that this instrument is 100% original.