Oops I Did It Again...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mheffernen5, Jul 29, 2004.

1. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

2. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Are you really in love with a BACH? Wow...that's a first for me. I guess as the old saying goes "To each his/her own!".

I mean I could see someone really wanting a Mt. Vernon or a vintage Bach but that horn looks like it has been through the mill and back.

I have a suggestion for you....check out www.dillonmusic.com and check out their selection of Bach's. You might find something there that you like a little better! (if not then happy bidding!)

-Cory-

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Molly, please try to buy the Bach. I know you've been looking for months and this is the best horn you've shown us so far. Maybe some others could suggest a ceiling price for bidding, I'm thinking $600 or $700 max. As for the Allegro, that'd be ok at $200, BUT it's not a "pro" horn. Get the Bach and you'll be set until college, at least, and maybe beyond.

Dave

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well the ad is honest about the Bach. Rough and not a looker. That is the thing with horns -- they often can look awful and play well. But everyone likes a good looking horn.

If that one goes over $500, it will be too much.

Jim

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I took a peek at Dillon's Music.

Oh my do they have a lot of fine instruments.

This one caught my attention:

French Bessson LT A bell with a .462 Bore with reversed Najoom leadpipe. The horn is in good condition with no plating wear. There is a small amount of denting on bell.
    [​IMG]

For $795. That is just one example. They have a LOT of used nice horns.

Jim

6. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I drool over Dillons' used trumpets on a regular basis.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I "used to" drool over the Dillon's website (and Horntrader's also!) ... until the Schilke and Eclipse managed to get through the front door! One question I do have, however... their prices seem on the high side to me. Does anyone know if they are negotiable at all?

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Most music stores used prices are a bit higher. It is usually worth it. They have a return policy, and reputation to uphold, and a shop that they can be run through. This adds to the cost. Yes you can often get the same horn on eBay for a bit less, but you take a chance. It may work, it may not.

As for negotiable, everything usually is. Unless they think they can sell it for the asking price!

Jim

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    nope, they told me that the price on the website is the price it sells at.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And if you walked through their front door and waved, say 85% of the asking price in cash in their noses? "Seeing the Green" always seems to speak loudly!