Oops! I made a small scratch inside the second valve of my Bach Omega! Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Trumpetmann39, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Trumpetmann39

Trumpetmann39 New Friend

Aug 7, 2011
    Good evening,

I recently purchased a used Bach Omega (a silver one from the 90's), and I absolutely love it. It plays very similar to a Strad (in my opinion).

Anyhow, I decided to really clean out the trumpet as it was quite dirty. I took everything apart, snaked it in warm water and polished it. However, like an idiot, i used the wrong type of brush when cleaning inside the valves. The brush was a small 3" brush with plastic bristles, but the end of the brush (which was metal) was mildly sharp. Anyhow, everything went without a hitch, but upon inspecting the small holes inside my second valve, I noticed that the brush created one small scratch inside the bottom most hole and one small scratch in the hole above that. The scratches are about two tenths of an inch in length, and are relatively shallow. There were no other scratches in the other valves or in any other holes in the the valves or in the valve casings.

Am I doomed? The trumpet still plays and sounds the same, but I am really paranoid that this will somehow affect the sound of the Trumpet. Thoughts?:-o

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Trumpetmann39, if the damage is only in the passages then you're OK - if your scratches are on the valve contact faces or valve bore then you need to take great care. If you are in any doubt about this don't use the valves until you have had them checked - and have it looked at by a good Tech.

Now, take your self outside and give yourself a severe thumping, and be careful of our little brass friends in the future - chuck that brush away, or find some way of fixing it so you can't scratch again - some Liquid Whipping Compound from your local Ships Chandlery (Boat Shop) might provide a solution or, otherwise, Ultra Pure do some nice ones in their trumpet service kits - and you get oil and slide grease too.

3. Trumpetmann39

Trumpetmann39 New Friend

Aug 7, 2011
    Thank you for your response! I am not quite sure what the valve "contact faces" are or the "valve bore" is. The two scratches are both pretty identical, and are in the small holes (passages) inside valve number two. The scratches end right at (possible right before) the holes/passages end. The scratches do not go on the actual outside of the valve (which is silver), but only occur in the hole/passage which is a brass color. Thoughts?

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You're in really good shape then, and have NO worries, and nothing further need be done - except to wonder how you're going to survive that beating ;-).

Trumpetmann - we ALL make mistakes, learn from this that brass is SOFT, it is in fact quite a bit softer than the material your valves are made from, and much softer than the hard wire from which your brushes are necessarilly built.

Go softly, gently - caressingly, and caringly - be gentle Old Son, and relax - treat your trumpet well and she will reward you with nice music :oops:.

5. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

No better excuse to go out and buy a Strad!

cheers,

Brian

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The inside of those passages is softer material than the rest of the valve, so you need to be careful. But those surfaces don't come into contact with anything (except that carelessly used brush) other than air and sound waves when the trumpet is used. Most of the time simply rinsing the valves will clean those OK.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yep .. the only way to atone is to buy a Strad being your current horn is ruined... (kidding I am kidding)

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Luckily ,that's in a non-contact spot. That Omega, if an earlier one, is the next to best thing than a Strad, Bach-Wise. Has Strad parts in it. My Bach is based on the Omega and plays pretty good IMHO.......:oops:

9. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    When you say the bottom most holes, are you referring the holes that lead out to the second valve slide? If so, are there any burrs that jut into the second valve casing? You can look inside the casing and see if any edges jut into the casing. Then feel with your finger. If there are burrs, then do not place the valve back into the case until it is looked at by a tech. Doing so, could result in scoring the second valve piston. If there is no burrs that can be felt inside the casing, then it would be okay to replace the piston.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You didn't do any real damage ,but if you only used water to clean your horn, you didn't get it clean. E mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you my paper on trumpet maintenace.