Oops! I made a small scratch inside the second valve of my Bach Omega! Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Trumpetmann39, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Trumpetmann39

Trumpetmann39 New Friend

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks for all of the responses!! It seems like a crisis was averted! Good thing I didn't use that crazy brush inside the valve casings or on the outside of the valve itself!

mrsemman: there are two holes with the scratches. One is the bottom-most hole of the second valve that leads into the third valve (but I don't think it is used when the valve is pushed down - I think). The other scratch is in the top hole that leads into the second valve slide (but it becomes the bottom hole leading to the second valve slide when the valve is pressed down). I am not quite sure what a burr is, but the scratches in the holes end before the holes themselves end, and nothing juts out of the holes (from the scratches) into either the second valve slide or the third valve.

In looking inside the second valve casing, around the second valve slide, I did not see anything jutting out - just the two holes inside the casing the lead to the valve slide. They are flush with the rest of the casing. I could not fit my finger down there to feel them. Does that answer your question? If so, does that alter what everyone else is saying?

I did notice that inside the second valve casing, in the top hole leading to the second valve slide, there does appear to be some tiny tiny pitting (like two or three microscopic INWARD dents) on the bottom rim of the hole. I am not sure what that is from, but it is certainly not from the scratch that I caused inside the hole of the valve itself (it wouldn't be possibly because it wouldn't match with the location of the scratch in the valve hole). I wonder what those were from (remember, this is a used horn).

Fweew! That was a lengthy explanation!

2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Trumpetman,

It reads like everything is okay. As a few responders noted. the brass in this area is soft, easy to dent, scratch and create burrs. As long as there is nothing jutting into the valve casing (where you insert the valve piston), then it is okay to insert the piston and play.

The minute pitting in the passagways, could be from red rot, which is caused by acids in the saliva reacting with the brass metal and create dezinctification (sp), which is one major reason to make sure that you clean your horn regularly and correctly.

Good luck and enjoy your horn.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Think of the burr as being metal, forced by the wire of your brush from the bottom of the scratch. To get a scratch the metal HAS to go SOMEWHERE. Either it is scaped away and falls away - like scraping butter off the block, or the metal is displaced and forms a sharp little ridge, a burr.

Burrs can then scratch other parts and cause other burrs, or displace metal - which then wanders off down your trumpet killing things like valves. You can see a burr formed when you cut across a block of butter and the knife forms little ridges either side of the wound. Now, go outside and thwack yourself for being brutal with your trumpet ;-).

BTW, you're doing well - ask the questions before further damage is caused - particularly if something unusual like this happens.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HAHA my 1st FIFY!! ROFLROFLROFL