Opal inlays

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Hi everyone

Ok, so there is a opal ring in our family that has been passed down and such and I would like to get Opal inlays becuase it would be symbolic of the family and such. Does anyone know if Harrelson still makes opal inlays? They where the only people I found who would maybe make them. Also does anyone know what they might cost I know it is a bit. Although 1000 from Monette seems a little high.. just a little...

Thanks!
    Justin

2. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    Do you want to use the original buttons, or do you want new ones? I can give you instructions for making your own, as opal doublet is cheap and it's soft as well. Doesn't cost too much, either.

Otherwise, Harrelson had some last I checked... Not sure who else to try.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Umm, Jason would know if he still makes them. Why not give him a call? He'd probably give you a price quote too...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Any decent jeweler can do this too. It would be cool to DIY too.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Please be aware that opals are more fragile than other gemstones. It is a very difficult stone.
    Pasting from article on web:

OPALS:

These can be tricky. When you buy opals or opal jewelry, be sure to ascertain whether or not they are whole, doublets, or triplets. Don’t be afraid to ask! By law, the tag on the items should say “doublet” or “triplet” if they are. Without tags, one must ask.

A whole opal is just that, WHOLE, or solid all the way through. A doublet is a slice of opal on top and something shiny glued to it on the bottom. A triplet is a thin slice of opal sandwiched between the something shiny and something clear, like crystal or even glass!

Pretty to look at but…!

Opals have a bad reputation for cracking and breaking. They will generally behave if treated well. Never allow them to become dried out. Opals have minute amounts of water in them naturally. It’s ok to soak them occasionally in a dish of distilled water. Storing them with moist cotton is also recommended.

Never use any kind of cleaning solution on them. They are porous!

Don’t polish them with oil! This is a big controversy in the jewel world. All jewelers will admit that continuous polishing with oil will dull the stone. Remember, they are POROUS!

6. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Cool thanks!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Such valve key inlays as I've seen are just thin pan cuts. The thinner obviously the more fragile. The best installation is a full rim. Adhesives should not be used, and clips not only cause finger problems, but are just more likely to loosen and chip/crack. As it is her birthstone, I've bought my daughter some decent opal jewlery incuding giving her a necklace that belonged to my paternal grandmother as was comprised of Russian white opals. The thieves that broke into her house didn't get her jewelry. IMO Australia produces some of the finest opals.

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Sorry to resurrect a 4 year old thread, but this is a DIY project I want to try. Does anyone know of any cheap lapidary tools? Dremels tips, maybe?

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll look forward to your spending more attempting this DIY opal project than the total you've paid for your total education and all the musical instruments you have. We've done our best to dissuade you from this "insane" venture. I'm serious, you may have to mortgage your house and sell your Lamborghini to finance the tooling and acquisition of all the opals you'll most likely destroy until you can insert 3 matched inlays in the valve caps ... and then the first hot lick you play with them ... they fracture into bits and fall out.

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Haha...seriously?