Open sound...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jun 26, 2008.

1. navf21

navf21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2008
    There are many ways of overcoming this problem but takes time , you could have "oh" shape embouchure to maintain the height of the aperture, avoid smile shape. Notes sound dull and thin because the lips / throat take the pressure to support high notes

gradually build your high register,play lip slurs, flexibility exercises and chromatic scales , this will develop the elasticity of your breath support in order to facilitate high register. High notes needs pressure,majority of it can be taken by your abdominal muscles however this takes times to develop.And also idea of thinking singing rather playing the note will help to have more control.:D

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's probably the nicest thing ever said about my trumpetting - I consider myself a well rounded section player not a first chair occupant - there are just too many talented young players with many more years to offer who need the challenge of that chair. But I'm quite chuffed that the comment has been offered - thank you.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NO, NO! High notes do not need "pressure" and only some lead players using a specific technique tense up the area under the lungs. A big, relaxed breath can support a double C with no problem. Body tension is one of the killers of range and endurance. Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you explain what an "oh" shaped embouchure is? My aperature is much wider than it is high.

It took me 5 years to learn how to not grunt and sing while playing. Vocal chord noise does not help your playing

4. navf21

navf21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2008

Most people take the word "pressure" meaning incorrectly of cause you need pressure ( high pressure leads to higher pitch) when you say " A big, relaxed breath can support a double C with no problem" the pressure is taken by the diaphragm and abdominal muscles but the sensation you get is relax and easy while performing .

" oh" shape it do it front of mirror , form the embouchure and try increase the height of the aperture and then try with the instrument . dont over do anyway

It is Idea of singing is for playing ,as the note has to generate from your lungs and not from the lips, by doing this right amount of air volume , air pressure /pitch which passes through lips create the note you intended sound.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nav21,
    we have all levels of players here and the word pressure is the wrong visualization regardless of where and how anyone applies it.

I have never messed with aperature in over 40 years of playing and never did with a student either. Somehow they get the message, tone and range without that. To be honest, I don't know too many players that have really benefitted by concentrating on aperature. Just playing a lot softly, extensive lip slurs and long tones seems to balance everything out without doing the mirror, mirror on the wall routine. Maybe some players need to intellectualize the process, I have never had to do this with anyone that I have ever worked with.

It helps to really take some voice lessons and learn how to sing. Then the analogy is full of life instead of conjecture.

6. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I find the pencil exercise sets up my embrochure wrong (lower jaw protruding, etc.). Don't do it.

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Maybe you did too much of it! I think I going to work on both methods, 2 times a day, everyday. If I feel I getting worse, then I'll stop. But I doubt it will.