Opening the throat & intonation

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by FlugelFlyer, Nov 1, 2004.

1. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Question to pose to you folks, albeit a stupid and likely overdiscussed one:

Opening the throat, it is my understanding that it makes the high register tend to go sharp and can also make the low register sharp. Have any of you found this to be true? 'Tis just my stupid question for the day. :oops:

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    my interpretaton is a little different - when someone say open the throat i think of it being relaxed like when you yawn. it should open as much or as litte as it needs too. I guess forcing it to open or close could do something strange...

-marc

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Sorry, I should have clarified, the topic at hand is far stupider than you think. I'm speaking of boring the throat out on a mouthpiece. I'm a noodlebrain, thanks for being patient.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I don't the the correlation is that straight forward. An open throat is also going to be dependent on cup size, rim diameter, backbore. So many factors involved. A general idea is that an open throat give less resistance, but makes playing higher a bit more difficult.

Vincent Bach was said to have made his mouthpieces with a smallish bore, figuring everyone would drill it out if they needed to. Interesting.

The idea behind the 1930 invention of the Rudy Muck mouthpiece was a "chambered" throat. Small enough to give some reasonable resistance, but the chamber allowed for a good tone. Close to the idea of the double cup mouthpiece.

[​IMG]

So many combinations ... no wonder brass players can spend a small fortune on mouthpieces!

Jim

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    duh - its in the mpc section - should have looked.... yes boring it out make is go flat upstairs and sharp downstairs...

This is because if you drill the throat you have turned the taper into a cylinder shape.

This is the one time dewalt is not your friend. This is one of the cheapest alterations you have have done to a mouthpiece by a professional. Send it off or risk ruining it.

-marc

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I dunno... I hve a Bach 3c that I drilled out to a 21 throat... works great for me.

7. Mark Heuer

Mark Heuer New Friend

Jun 4, 2004
    Illinois
    I have reamed the throats of several mouthpieces and have never had a problem with intonation. However, I will say that the largest I've ever reamed to is a 24, which is really not all that large.

8. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    are they all bachs? - I remember reading that Vincent desinged them knowing people would open them up. he had a set of reamers in his pocket in case someone requested it when they meet him in person.

9. Mark Heuer

Mark Heuer New Friend

Jun 4, 2004
    Illinois
    Bach's and Schilkes.