opening up the blow (and the sound)...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by chas, Jan 31, 2005.

1. chas

chas New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    I have trumpet with great valves and in mint condition. It is a nice trumpet, but for me, as I am used to a very open and responsive blow, it just has way to much resistance (as opposed to being stuffy).

Now I don't believe this is a shortcoming on the part of the trumpet. I differentiate between "resistance" and "stuffy" in that I consider resistance a matter of preference and stuffiness a bad thing. For me back pressure comes with stuffiness whereas resistance is merely overcome with the use of lips, pressure and air.

My question, how does one go about opening up the blow of an instrument and how can one know if he is wasting his time? Would a larger leadpipe make that much of a difference (assuming there is nothing wrong with the trumpet)? If a larger leadpipe would make a difference, does one just go out and try a bunch of different leadpipes on the trumpet and see if one works? Is there a way to eliminate leadpipes that have no possibility of workng with a particular instruments's setup?

Or is it just simply more prudent to sell an instrument that doesn't quite suit you and buy another one?

Any insight or direction that anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.

Charles

2. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    Try a different leadpipe

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    A really open leadpipe (Like a Blackburn 20) does go a LOOOONG way to making the horn more open and free blowing.

Call Blackburn trumpets, at 423-745-7337. You can also email at [email protected].

I gave them a credit card number, and they sent me two leadpipes, a 19 and a 20, to test for two weeks (I told them I just wanted a dark, yet open blow, they sent me those two to make up my mind). The only thing I paid for was shipping. I didnt buy because I wound up selling the horn for my Kanstul 1503.

Some very, VERY friendly people, and the leadpipes are amazing.

Van

4. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Yep the guy's beat me to it

The leadpipe change could be what you are looking for, and it is a case of trying several to see what fits you as a player best.

Regards

Leigh

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, while on the subject of open blow.

The Scherzer I am testing (still loving it, BTW) has a REAL open feel and sound, but I notice resistance in the lower range, past low C. I may be strange, but I actually like it.

Also, on every getzen I've ever played, I notice that the horn seems very resistant until you start going past tuning C, then the horn "busts wide open!"

How do you build resistance into certain parts of the register? Is resistance even planned when building the horn?

Van

6. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    You might want to get in touch with Jerry Callet.
    He is one person who has always claimed to "open the blow" when doing the final play-testing an instrument.
    He should be able to assess the situation and help solve the problem.

Just an aside - Jerry always said he loved the blow of Scherzer piccolos, and he suggested buying them at one time. Maybe Scherzer and Callet discovered the same thing!????